New CCR's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

padiscubapro once bubbled...

The prototype at ZeroG didn't work well... had several floods.. finally traced down to a missing o ring, then the custom battery pack stopped working... so in total it was in the water for 3 days...
Sad to hear that. Missing O-ring sounds like sloppiness, though. Can't hold that against the rig unless it was delivered without it.
Never liked custom batteries, expensive and hard to come by. I'd rather have standard batteries available at most any store, even if it means several of them. If I remember right, the Cochran and DeltaP computers take various kind of batteries, the Prism runs off a 9V. That sort of thinking.

also the unit showed up without the deco computer.. the final computer WILL NOT support trimix, only nitrox and heliox.
Wasn't there just a debate about trimix vs. helox? I don't dive helium mixes,
what do those of you who use helium in your CCRs (SCRs too, I guess) use?
Heliox or Trimix?

Mauricio ended up doing the deepest azimuth nitox dive to date on the carrie lee... it was a very short bounce dive... and he needed both onboard tanks to do the dive...
Dare I ask how deep, or will someone try this at home? No AF on hand?

caveseeker7 once bubbled...

Sad to hear that. Missing O-ring sounds like sloppiness, though. Can't hold that against the rig unless it was delivered without it.
Never liked custom batteries, expensive and hard to come by. I'd rather have standard batteries available at most any store, even if it means several of them. If I remember right, the Cochran and DeltaP computers take various kind of batteries, the Prism runs off a 9V. That sort of thinking.

The nemesis will be using a pack designed for the military.. the unit is pretty power hungry so it will need the pack.. also remember the prism electronics do very little.. no pwer hungry displays or deco computers to run..

Wasn't there just a debate about trimix vs. helox? I don't dive helium mixes,
what do those of you who use helium in your CCRs (SCRs too, I guess) use?
Heliox or Trimix?
I generally use trimix, Heliox dives incur too much of a deco penalty for short bottom times, on long dives I use Heliox. Since there are no officially accepted tested trimix tables from any military they will not support it..

Dare I ask how deep, or will someone try this at home? No AF on hand?

only 163, There aren't any major differances between the AF and standard.. To do it with any safety much larger cylinders are going to have to be used..

The nemesis will be using a pack designed for the military.. the unit is pretty power hungry so it will need the pack.. also remember the prism electronics do very little.. no pwer hungry displays or deco computers to run..
Well, lets hope they sort that battery problem out before they get rigs to the military. Or anyone else. Still, I like the idea that the power source is easy to get. And different sources work. Some of the stuff I read about Inspirations not just needing a certain model, but manufacturer because minimal battery-size differences cause problems seems ridicoulous. But that's just me.

There is a good and bad side to everything, isn't there. The Prism might have basic electronics, but you could probably find a 9V battery in the Caymans ... .
Why not split them, let the handsets/deco computers have their own ... probably something wrong with that thought, though.
How is the HH powered?

I generally use trimix, Heliox dives incur too much of a deco penalty for short bottom times, on long dives I use Heliox. Since there are no officially accepted tested trimix tables from any military they will not support it..
Makes sense. How about the rest of you avid readers? Or do I have to threaten a poll? :wacko:

only 163, There aren't any major differances between the AF and standard.. To do it with any safety much larger cylinders are going to have to be used..
That's plenty for Nitrox. The AF I looked at had 10ltr rather than 3ltr tanks. Am not sure if they had three times the capacity under pressure, though. But CMF and different mixes just doesn't do it for me. Then I'd rather go with a RMV/passive SCR.

The current HH electronics are powered by 2 X 1/2 aa lithium cells for each handset.. the newer electronics that will be out shortly will use any single AA size cell..

Is the battery issue that big of a deal? The 223 used by the Inspiration is available at my local grocery store. Dragging a 44lb keg of sofnolime around and making sure O2 is available is a far bigger problem than a few extra batteries in the spares kit.

I'm far more concerned about O2 sensor issues (try buying one of those on the local market). :wacko:

Of course they're not that big of a deal, and it's easy to pack and carry a couple of spares. But it shouldn't be a necessity as long as you're in around civilization. As far as the Nemesis' battery, if it's a high output custom it's probably expensive. So how many do you want to take along? And since they're rechargeable you'll also be hauling the charger. And a back-up?

I understand your concern about the sensors and their availability. In that respect the Prism is probably the least easy to supply, as it uses proprietory high-output sensors (to run the analog secondary). As far as I know you can get them only from Steam Machines.

Sofnolime, oxygen, sensors ... you learn to plan your trips around your needs, pick resorts, shops or towns accordingly. Or your vacation turns into a self-sufficient little expedition. Give it a few more years and things will get better. From the Red Sea to the Maledives and Philipines to the Caymans you'll find people that supply RBs (usually Dolphins and Inspirations). As users increase, so will bases.

caveseeker7 once bubbled...
Of course they're not that big of a deal, and it's easy to pack and carry a couple of spares. But it shouldn't be a necessity as long as you're in around civilization. As far as the Nemesis' battery, if it's a high output custom it's probably expensive. So how many do you want to take along? And since they're rechargeable you'll also be hauling the charger. And a back-up?

I understand your concern about the sensors and their availability. In that respect the Prism is probably the least easy to supply, as it uses proprietory high-output sensors (to run the analog secondary). As far as I know you can get them only from Steam Machines.

Sofnolime, oxygen, sensors ... you learn to plan your trips around your needs, pick resorts, shops or towns accordingly. Or your vacation turns into a self-sufficient little expedition. Give it a few more years and things will get better. From the Red Sea to the Maledives and Philipines to the Caymans you'll find people that supply RBs (usually Dolphins and Inspirations). As users increase, so will bases.

I agree and that was my point. As one needs to plan out a dive trip the issue of trying to find the right batteries on a trip is moot as one will have the enough batteries with them. Otherwords, I wouldn't buy product X just because it uses common AA cells. I have 5 extra O2 sensors so that shouldn't be a problem on a trip. :D

Back
Top Bottom