Back from Calif!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Another fantastic weekend of diving in Channel Islands! All of you RMO who don't go to Calif to dive are really missing out. It is some of the best diving you can do without leaving the US and it is sooooo close! The Great Escape is a fantastic boat, great crew, fun people onboard so it was a blast in the water and out. With the economy the way it is and big dive trips becoming so expensive due to airfare, everyone should start looking at California. Very affordable and great diving! :D

I am going to try to get video edited and posted by the end of the week. We made it to San Clemente on Saturday, Catalina on Sunday. Vis was great at both islands, kelp was lush. We had giant sea bass, bat ray, and shark sightings (hornshark and leopard shark). :D

Gotta go finish washing gear, etc. :D I will do a trip report when I get a chance and Ron can get all his photos edited.

robin:D

Very nice!! It is wonderful diving. I need to go again as soon as the budget allows.

I love diving catalina and the channel Islands, it is even better now that the Giant Sea Bass have made such a strong comeback.

I'm really glad you said that. I'm a lifelong resident of Southern California and diving here since '94. Many dive buddies have come and gone, falling by the wayside because they don't want to dive in cold water. Pansies I say! :) We truly have some of the best diving here, and I'm fortunate enough that I can go almost every weekend. I may not be able to afford as many boat trips to the islands as I'd like, but our miles of beautiful coastline make the beach dives accessible all the time. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip out here and thanks for appreciating our great diving!

Good to hear you had such a great time! Channel islands is on my very short list of places to dive in the next year. I'd like to get there this year, but not sure if it will happen. Driving from Denver is a bit farther than from where you are located.

Looking forward to the trip report, and images.

Good to hear you had such a great time! Channel islands is on my very short list of places to dive in the next year. I'd like to get there this year, but not sure if it will happen. Driving from Denver is a bit farther than from where you are located.

Looking forward to the trip report, and images.

Go! It is soooo worth it. If you can't get some other divers to go with you to drive, then fly out. You can fly into LAX and rent a car. We would go again tomorrow if work issues weren't preventing us!

The Great Escape Southern California Scuba Diving - Great Escape Dive Boat is doing a 3-day trip out over the Labor Day weekend and for the price ($445) it is a steal! That includes all food and airfills and sleeping on the boat.
I would guess the trip will have 10-13 dives. Schedule is for San Clemente to start then stop at Farnsworth Bank and Catalina the last day of the way back in. If they can't make it to SC, then they will go over to Santa Barbara which is great also and has sea lion rookery. Either way, a great trip!

I moved out from OC, a little over a year ago, and One of the main things I miss is the ability to take the express to catalina, or drive 20 minutes to Newport Beach. Next time youre there, try Anacapa Island. Amazing dives...60+ Viz and beautiful Kelp forests. Good to hear about the trip!

John

I moved out from OC, a little over a year ago, and One of the main things I miss is the ability to take the express to catalina, or drive 20 minutes to Newport Beach. Next time youre there, try Anacapa Island. Amazing dives...60+ Viz and beautiful Kelp forests. Good to hear about the trip!

John

Yes, I agree with you about Anacapa, we have done it three times and loved it. The first time there I wasn't shooting video yet but I do have a short one from last trip.
I have all our California trip videos here: Robin Tackett's California album on Vimeo

Great great diving in California!

Back
Top Bottom