Which editing software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
photoshop cs3, lightroom, or elements. which is best? what do you get for the extra money in cs3 vs elements?

I have just started using PSE, if you use the "guided" tab and mess with the "auto" buttons, you can quickly get some acceptable results fairly painlessly. Keep in mind, this is the only program I have used, and only for a few days, but I've put some color in about 1000 photos since last Saturday.

Photoshop and Lightroom are two different things.

I use LR for all of my images and only open PSCS3 when I want to do something "extra" like add borders, copyright etc. I also use Photoshop to sharpen images as I'm not 100% keen on LRs offerings there so far.

The vast majority of people are not going to ever use all of the things that CS3 offers, so unless you have money to burn, I'd just get the new Elements (and I'd actually get Lightroom, too) - it's extremely powerful and I can't imagine that most people would ever learn all there is to know in that program either!

On my machine, Lightroom is almost always open :)

You can download a free trial of Lightroom (and I think the others) at adobe.com - but be warned, you'll probably end up buying :D

Another to consider is GIMP. Open source and free. Does everything I am ever likely to need. Did I mention that it's free? :)

HTH
Phil

I'm with Alcina, I use Lightroom almost exclusively. I also have PSE, but since getting Elements I hardly use PSE anymore.

I use Paint Shop Pro XI. I have used it (or earlier versions) for virtually all of my above and below ground work, as well as for photo restoration. I was annoyed that they had dropped some of my favorite tools from earlier versions, but they were just hiding them well. I have now found them and put them back where they belong.

photoshop cs3, lightroom, or elements. which is best? what do you get for the extra money in cs3 vs elements?

I use Lightroom for photo processing (Color, exposure, saturation tweaks), CS3 for editing (removing backscatter, watermarking, borders, etc)

Like Alcina said, they are very different but they work well together. I process all my stuff on Lightroom and find it far more important for my photography work (hobby!) in general (especially UW). If there are things that need fixing/altering, I can open the same image directly in CS3 from lightroom for editing...after the magic is done, Lightroom recognizes the changes and updates the image library.

I would definitely get Lightroom.....if you feel you need to do editing, Elements should be enough.

I only use PhotoShop. I don't think there is anything that it won't do as far as images are concerned. Of course, I had to take a class to be able to use all of these tools. It is a very powerful program and may be a bit more than you really need. It just depends on what you want to do with it.

NancyLynn,

I have been working with PSP 8.1 for a while now (and it's really good and powerfull) and have XI but did not install it because of what you had said about some of your favorite tools being removed. Did you find what you were looking for such as Grey World Balance and others? Can you now use XI for all your retouching?

Thanks.​

Back
Top Bottom