Opinions on Salvos as DIR lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought the Salvo 21W/10.4amp LED and it was every bit as bright and focused as my dive buddy's Halcyon 18W HID during DAY diving off a boat in the kelp forests at Catalina last weekend. I did not have a chance to compare it to any other light but it works as well as can be expected during the day under the kelp. In bright daylight in openwater (at our 15' stop for example) the light is washed out...but that's be the case for any light.

I only did 3 dives so I can't comment on battery life during diving except that mine worked at 100% for the dives and turned off and on with no problem. I left the power on full. I'm not sure why you'd want to lower the power setting (except for conserve battery life fi you're doing more than 4 dives in a day) The light was VERY bright when I used it to peer into overhangs and the entrance to a small cave from 10' out. Only a few dives on it but I am VERY happy thus far!

I have been using a 35W HID for over a year now. They are bulletproof.

... just don't show up with an X-scooter and you'll be fine ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
I have Salvo and must say - they are THE BEST.
And each time I go to High Springs i also shop in all shops, but the first one I go is Salvo and there I got most od the staff I need.

Mania

Having finally got a Salvo, I must say it seems to be a great light. The only spoiler is the cheap plastic strut for the Goodman handle. Mine actually came with a crack in it where the screw goes in. Fortunately, I bought it from a good shop (Divingniknaks) who have agreed to replace it with an all metal handle free of charge.

I don't know why they put such a nasty piece of plastic on such a nice light. Surely a decent Goodman handle as standard couldn't up the price much.

Say what?

I've seen a lot of Salvo lights, and own one. But I have never seen any plastic near the goodman handle. Do you have a picture?

Seems like you might want to investigate this a bit.

Having finally got a Salvo, I must say it seems to be a great light. The only spoiler is the cheap plastic strut for the Goodman handle. Mine actually came with a crack in it where the screw goes in. Fortunately, I bought it from a good shop (Divingniknaks) who have agreed to replace it with an all metal handle free of charge.

I don't know why they put such a nasty piece of plastic on such a nice light. Surely a decent Goodman handle as standard couldn't up the price much.

It's a new style (diamond shaped base plate) that came out last fall. It comes with an optional elastic band.

Say what?

I've seen a lot of Salvo lights, and own one. But I have never seen any plastic near the goodman handle. Do you have a picture?

Seems like you might want to investigate this a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom