New to DSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mako1

Contributor
Reaction score
trying to make the jump into a dslr camera setup, a little at a time. I would like to start off around 2000.00 and upgrade as i go. I was looking a the nikon d40x with a fantasea housing, and a ikelite 51 strobe which would run over a little but not much. But in my reading the d40x got some bad reviews to to the lens cost. I can get a used d70 for a couple hundred less and save a hundred more on the d70 housing would this be a better route? any help please.
mike

Don't bother with the D40x. It won't have the "legs" you want for such a significant purchase. I use a D80 in a Fantasea housing which works well for me and my budget.

With the D300 just released you might be able to get a used D200 setup, which a lot of people both use and love for underwater photography.

I would consider the D70 a nice camera, but it is quickly becoming dated.

If you aren't addicted to Nikon you can get the Canon 40D for about $939 right now with rebates :) There are also rebates on the popular 60 and 100 macro. Housings, of course, are going to blow your budget over the $2000 mark.

You can save a couple of hundred by going with the Canon 400D (or 450D though housing choice is very limited right now).

For the Nikon range, I'd skip the 40 and head to the 70 or newer. The D200/300 are most likely well out of your budget as it is.

Even an older model like the Nikon D70 or the Canon 20D will give you a long time in service before you outgrow it, I'd guess, so you might want to check the used gear as others change systems.

I'd probably start looking at new Ikelite systems - they're just fantastic and the price is awesome.

Don't forget that you need to budget for: synch cords, strobes, arms, trays, cards, batteries, ports...

I would start with a newer camera. Here is what I would start with:

D80 with 18-50(?) kit lens
Ikelite D80 housing with 6" dome port
1 x DS-125 Ikelite strobe
ULCS buoyancy arms and clamps
Screw on diopter for lens to shoot reasonable macro
TTL synch chord

With this setup all you need to move up is another strobe and some lenses(maybe a flat port for a macro lens). You can shoot macro and some WA with this too... It may cost closer to 3k or 3.5k than 2k but you will end up replacing the DS-51. I really don't know anything about Fantasea housings but Ikelite are a good value...

I'd buy the camera first and get the rest when you have the cash... Learn about the camera while you save up....

I hope this helps!

Sean

Used D200 systems are the way to go in my book. Since the D300 came out we have helped more than 6 customers sell D200 systems from Sea & Sea, Aquatica, Ikelite and Nexus. The last two have gone for less than 2k for the housing, camera and macro port.

Back
Top Bottom