"Must Read" books for the beach bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Historian by Eilzabeth Kostova an amazing novel and one which started can't be put down. It's about vampires but not in the Steven King way. More suspence less gore
I'll second that. Great book
I hear its supposed be be turned into a movie, I'm sure that will ruin it.

I just finished "Hold tight" the new Harlan Coben. Its a mystery about a father looking for his son. He's one of my favorite authors. All of his novels have great plot twists that keep you guessing.

So, I was at the beach today... with a bag... and there was a book in it...

This is WAY outside my normal genres which range from Lisa Jackson to Stephen King to Clive Cussler to Neil Gaiman (American Gods kicks a$$, btw) to Jim Thompson, anyway you get the picture. It's a medieval lords and ladies, jousting, fantasy book called A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and it's so richly conceived that you almost have no doubt that it is chronicling a series of events that take place in a real time line in a real world. All the characters are uniquely drawn and the world they live in is fully realized. I believe there are four books in the series with this being the first. It is an absolutely fantastic read and perfect for a beach bag.

Have a great summer of reading, y'all!

Rachel

One of my favorite authors is Tom Robbins - His books are kind of bizarre - he has a sense of humor that is way out there. But they are fun to read. My 3 favorites are "Even Cowgirls get the Blues", "Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas". and "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates". Currently I am reading "A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffet. It's enjoyable and very beachy. Probably a 7. Tom Robbin's books are 8's or 9's.

I love Tom Robbins (Jitterbug Perfume is my fav)! If you like him then get some Christopher Moore as well especially Coyote Blue and Island of the Sequined Love Nun.

R

I have (but not finished) Salty Piece of Land by JB. His Where is Joe Merchant is a good read also. I would give both an 8. I really like Carl Hiaasen and Tom Corcoran. Really good light vacation reads. Both authors a 9 for pure enjoyment.

Must have books for planes or beaches:

Carl Hiassen - a bit of darker humor sometimes, but I haven't read one I didn't enjoy.

Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum series 1 -13. I laugh out loud even re-reading them. I don't much care for her Metro Girl series, but they are defnitely light reading if you're just killin margaritas by the poolside.

Jonathan Kellerman - murder mystery types with ongoing characters. Most have been good reads.

Dean Koontz - I love a lot of his older books and his newer series with Odd Thomas is great reading.

I love Tom Robbins (Jitterbug Perfume is my fav)! If you like him then get some Christopher Moore as well especially Coyote Blue and Island of the Sequined Love Nun.

R

Wow! Great to find another Tom Robbins fan! I will certainly read some Christopher Moore. Thanks!

Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum series 1 -13. I laugh out loud even re-reading them. I don't much care for her Metro Girl series, but they are defnitely light reading if you're just killin margaritas by the poolside.

Love the Stephanie Plum series also! They are so much fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom