Halcyon BP, Transpac II or OMS IQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robinhood

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving for a number of years, but recently have gotten involved with some cave diver training (intro). The cave dive instructors all swear by the BP/Wing set up, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. My diving will not be limited to cave diving, but will include ALOT of O/W stuff with single tanks as well.

I thought the Halcyon BP/Wing setup looked good because of the Pioneer wing strictly for singles and the explorer setup for doubles. How comfortable is this setup? In the O/W, it seems it would be difficult to get out of the harness when re-boarding the boat??

Transpac versus OMS IQ
The Transpac seems like a good setup, but have read several posts that it's not stable enough for doubles. Also, I was concerned that getting either the Trek or Rec wings would be too much wing for my single tank diving. Thoughts?

Lastly, the IQ looks very attractive because you can add the backplate for stability. My question then, is there one wing I can comfortably (not alot of drag) use with singles that will provide enough lift for doubles?

Anxious to hear your thoughts!

Robinhood

Robinhood once bubbled...
I've been diving for a number of years, but recently have gotten involved with some cave diver training (intro). The cave dive instructors all swear by the BP/Wing set up, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. My diving will not be limited to cave diving, but will include ALOT of O/W stuff with single tanks as well.

I thought the Halcyon BP/Wing setup looked good because of the Pioneer wing strictly for singles and the explorer setup for doubles. How comfortable is this setup? In the O/W, it seems it would be difficult to get out of the harness when re-boarding the boat??

Do you dawn and doff your gear in the water? I don't really have a problem getting the gear on and off on the boat but I have never tried it in the water. But, it is heavy for me getting back into the boat if it is a big climb.

We've been working my doubles design configuration and I will probably begin practicing taking my current gear off in the water before I go doubles because a doubles rig will weigh almost as much as I do, maybe 20 lbs less than me.

I don't really see a problem though as I don't have much trouble doffing it now on the boat. I am thinking that a buddy's hand on on the back to hold it steady while I get out of the rig should do the trick.

I am curious to see if others doff the gear in the water and if they have problems. R

Robinhood once bubbled...
Transpac versus OMS IQ
The Transpac seems like a good setup, but have read several posts that it's not stable enough for doubles. Also, I was concerned that getting either the Trek or Rec wings would be too much wing for my single tank diving. Thoughts?

Lastly, the IQ looks very attractive because you can add the backplate for stability. My question then, is there one wing I can comfortably (not alot of drag) use with singles that will provide enough lift for doubles?

Anxious to hear your thoughts!

Robinhood

Rather than the Transpac, look into DiveRite's TransPlate system. It's a harness/backplate system that's easy to doff and don because it uses essentially the same shoulder straps as the Transpac.

http://www.dive-rite.com/products/bcd/transplate.htm

I recently purchased this system, and posted a review in the Buoyancy Compensator forum. I use the Rec wing, and dive a single LP95. I'm a fairly hefty guy, and this wing works well for me. Also, the Rec wing will accommodate doubles as well as singles. The Trek wing would work better for most people who only want to dive singles.

Note that if you're considering going DIR, this isn't an appropriate choice. There are a couple of features about this system that are verboten to the DIR system ... specifically the quick-release buckles on the shoulder straps and the gusset control cord ... which is a bungee that runs through gussets attached to the circumference of the wing (not at all like the bungeed OMS wing). On the other hand, this feature lets you adjust the tension of the cord to "customize" the amount of lift you get out of the wing ... a nice feature for folks who want to use the same wing to dive both singles and doubles.

I've only had this system for less than two weeks ... and only have about 12 dives on it so far. But I'd take it over a Transpac (or any other BC I've ever used) anytime. It's exceptionally comfortable and make your tank feel like it's part of your body.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No, I generally don't take my gear off while in the water, but quick snaps generally make it much easier to remove the BC.

Question on the transplate harness. Can it be used with a Halcyon BP/Wings setup? I'm not so worried about DIR...I like the idea of quick release. How does the single tank feel on the Rec Wings...DiveRite recommends using transpac for singles because the tank is offset several inches with the backplate.

Robinhood:rolleyes:

I went through the exact same tire kicking one year ago that you are going through now. GET THE HALCYON BP WITH PIONEER WINGS. It's a no brainer. You will love it once it's fine tuned and fit for you. Esp if you know of a couple people diving the same Halcyon rig.

So slick, so comfy. Kick.... glide...... You will love it.

The Halcyon BP and wing is easy to don and doff in or out of the water. It is the most comfortable system I have ever worn and I don't ever plan to go back to anything else. I find no need for quick release buckles when either diving singles or doubles.

You will find, in or out of the water, that there are times when the quick-release fastex buckle will be worth its weight in gold. The military uses them a lot, for damned good reasons.:winkbl:

Awww...right when I was ready to jump on the Halcyon wagon you had to bring up the quick releases!?! Checked out your bio, BigJetDriver. You obviously have alot of experience. What type of BP setup do you use?

Robin:confused:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
You will find, in or out of the water, that there are times when the quick-release fastex buckle will be worth its weight in gold. The military uses them a lot, for damned good reasons.:winkbl:

The military also uses J-valves and single reg manifolds on their doubles.

I think regardless of which way you go you are going to want different wings for singles vs. doubles. As a result, you are going to be spending at least half of what a second rig would cost you on the second wing.

Having said that, let me add that I have a Transpac II that I am quite happy with, but I would characterize it as a recreational BC with a lot of Tec features, not as a Tec rig. I recommend it for singles diving, particularly OW, but if you are really going to do a lot of doubles diving I think I would go the BP route.

Consider this the opinion of a recreational diver who has thought about the matter, not the opinion of an expert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom