Scottish knomes on tour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at the video and seeing another video link of the Thistlegorm with virtually the same image on it I was wondering what wreck you were diving. Also, I recently read a novel that states the seals are often referred to as silkies, is that proper slang for the book or something the author made up in the name of fiction?

BTW, I'm starting to learn Gaelic so I think it would be appropriate to say:

'S mise Bhlaine, ciamar a tha sibh?

Blane

thats good that your learning gaelic its a dying language my gaelic isnt very good last i used it at school many moons ago as am a lowlander its mostly used in the highlands were my motherinlaw comes from,the seals are a pain in the arse they creep up on you,keep thinking its a shark haha heres saying for you pog mon thon to tell your friends slainte alan

thats good that your learning gaelic its a dying language my gaelic isnt very good last i used it at school many moons ago as am a lowlander its mostly used in the highlands were my motherinlaw comes from,the seals are a pain in the arse they creep up on you,keep thinking its a shark haha heres saying for you pog mon thon to tell your friends slainte alan

alright big man how you doin,i heard you had a set back with your twins:dork2: or was it not having you reg in hahahahahah you can kiss my arse haha are you diving this weekend!!!!

From my rudimentary understanding of Gaelic, I think I figured out its meaning: "kiss my arse"?

alright big man how you doin,i heard you had a set back with your twins:dork2: or was it not having you reg in hahahahahah you can kiss my arse haha are you diving this weekend!!!!

how you doing baggie aye i got kitted up what a weight them 10's 300bar f$ck me fell at waters edge face down without reg in lucky big ian saw me what a fricht a got was under for a lifetime haha first dive was ok 2nd to cold 25m frozen giblets nearly fell off,no not divin was suposed to be got to work sh""ttie eh! got a dive april to the port napier take some wee pals way us haha these wee smilies are great better than ours:eyebrow:

.. I recently read a novel that states the seals are often referred to as silkies, is that proper slang for the book or something the author made up in the name of fiction?
Blane
The Selkie is something that came about from imbibing too many wee drams (as in dram buidheach).
Here's as good an explanation as any Selkie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
You just can't tell who around you might be a Selkie.
BTW. They live not too far from Nessie.

For most Scots, a seal is a seal.

BTW .. apparently a 'silkie' could also be one of these too. Kinda looks like a Glaswegian* going to the beach. :wink:

180px-Silky_bantam.jpg

PS. I'm a Glaswegian myself.

you got it so why are you studying gaelic?whens your next dive, alan

My brother recently made a visit to the Tartan Museum in Franklin, North Carolina because his wife is half Scottish in her ancestry. When the museum tour guide saw my brother's facial features he asked if my brother was Scottish as well. My brother explained our family lineage and learned that my mother's ancestors came from Clan Buchanan on the northern banks of Loch Lomond. I had always been fascinated with Scottish history and culture ever since I was a kid so when I found out I had Scottish blood, I felt it was important to learn Gaelic. Fortunately, my sister-in-law is learning Gaelic as well so she and I say a few things in Gaelic back and forth every now and then to aid in our learning process.

My next dive is probably going to be sometime in April, probably the second weekend as that's when my local quarry opens. I also need to have my tanks visually inspected as well.

The Selkie is something that came about from imbibing too many wee drams (as in dram buidheach).
Here's as good an explanation as any Selkie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
You just can't tell who around you might be a Selkie.
BTW. They live not too far from Nessie.

For most Scots, a seal is a seal.

BTW .. apparently a 'silkie' could also be one of these too. Kinda looks like a Glaswegian* going to the beach. :wink:

180px-Silky_bantam.jpg

PS. I'm a Glaswegian myself.[/QUOT am fae ruchill. where abouts did you come from?

am fae ruchill. where abouts did you come from?
Possilpark for a while then Easterhouse when it was just being built back in the early 60's, then headed over to Canada and California. Ended up going back to live up in Fort William and then up near Balloch for a few years in the 70's before heading back to the States (East coast this time).
To back up my assertion I have this great picture of my Granny taking me to the beach at Saltcoats a really long time ago.

Granma%20Delargy.jpg

hi frank thats an old photo,what made you move to the states? looked at your home page very impresive,you wont recognise possil now most of the tenements are gone,saracen st still as bleak full of junkies,if you ever get back send me an email alan_trainer@tiscali.co.uk can buddy up...alan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom