Rosetta Stone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good stuff FW :)

As for the nanny :1poke: Me thinks I will leave that one alone as well.

I'll preface this by saying I am a former linguist (Russian, German, Serbo-Croatian) and have a wife who is also a former linguist and has a master's in linguistics.

Rosetta Stone is probably the best of all of the language learning systems out there. None of them are perfect, and none of them are the same as having an actual teacher in an actual class, but as far as learn at home programs go, I would highly recommend Rosetta Stone.

Awesome... I took the DLAB test and scored extraordinarily high on it. :thumb: I would have liked to have learned Arabic or Farsi, but would have had to wait to apply to the school in California until I was rotated back to the States.

What is the main difference between the Rosetta Stone method and the Berlitz method?

I've been teaching high school Spanish for 22 years. While Rosetta is well known and I have seen results for some, I would suggest that you check out this link, too, before making a decision:

Blaine Ray Workshops - TPR Storytelling Teaching Aids

and check out the information about "Fast Fluency" classes...available in Spanish, French, Mandarin, and German.

After you have read and seen some examples about the above, you can even order from this same website, if you wish. First hand experience tells me that this program WORKS!

I agree that there's no replacement for immersion in a 2nd language, and this program is about the next best thing!

Good luck and let us know how things go!

One thing that I already like about Rosetta is it differentiates between Latin Am. Spanish and Spain or Castillian Spanish. Latin Am. Spanish is what I need. My goal is to effectively communicate with food prep employees in restaurant kitchens.

Common problem: Asian restaurant, Owner/manager speaks Mandarin, Korean, or other asian lang. and very little English, food prep employees speak Spanish and very little English. They communicate with each other alot by pointing and gestures. I can barely communicate with any of them.

I'm working with Rosetta since it's free until the middle of June. I'll see how far I get.

TwoBit

Been working with it off and on now. I took several semesters of Spanish at a Community College a few years ago and I'm suprised at how much I still remember. I like the methods. I haven't tried any of the speach recognition, but I'm sure it would tell me I stink at rolling my r's.

It continuously builds on itself. The vocabulary is constantly repeated as new words and concepts are introduced. There have been a few times I haven't grasped the meaning of a word or two from the pictures but I do generally figure it out. I doubt I'll finish it before I run out of my free time, but I also think I'll make the investment and buy it.

TwoBit

when I went to mexico I turned on english subittles and watched soap operas on my SI

by the end of the week I was getting pretty good, too bad the only reception was the soap operas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom