Rosetta Stone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I really need to learn Spanish. It will do wonders for helping me in my job.

Has anyone ever used the Rosetta Stone programs to learn a language? How does it work? Does it work?

I have a shot at free access for probably about 4 months through our library before it goes away.

Anyone?

TwoBit

I've not used their program, but have heard it is really the best of all of the current language learning programs on the market. The best, of course, is total immersion into the culture, with no one around to speak in English with. Self-taught, it took me about 6 months to become fluent enough in Japanese that I held a part-time bartending job.

Rossetta is about total emersion, no instruction, no nothing from the get go is in your native language (except the area where you choose wich language to start) I have been playing with Russian here and there and so far its very frustrating but seems effective.

There are other tricks you can use for learning a language quickly.

Even if it's imperfect, talk to yourself in your head in the target language. It will get you out of the habit of thinking in English, then translating, then speaking. The pace of conversation moves a lot faster than that. After a while, you'll simply slip into "Spanish Mode," and instead of constantly translating in your head, it will be a 1:1 thing, just like you do now, with English.

Also, play word games. Any word or phrase, make it ludicrous, sexual, or violent. The images associated with it will reinforce the learning and you will learn it faster.

For example: "Ame" in Japanese, is both "rain" and "candy." Think of candy raining from the sky.
The word for "bridge" and for "chopsticks" is "Hashii" or "Ohashii." Imagine a pair of chopsticks "walking" across an ornate Japanese bridge. Bang: You've just doubled the words that you've learned, in addition to pairing them with fun images, so rather than memorizing dull lists of words, you've created something fun and interesting for yourself.

:) Good luck!

Update this thread if you end up doing the rosetta stone program. I might have the chance to do it as well and I'd like to know if it really works.

I'll preface this by saying I am a former linguist (Russian, German, Serbo-Croatian) and have a wife who is also a former linguist and has a master's in linguistics.

Rosetta Stone is probably the best of all of the language learning systems out there. None of them are perfect, and none of them are the same as having an actual teacher in an actual class, but as far as learn at home programs go, I would highly recommend Rosetta Stone.

Hire a spanish speaking nanny, its more fun and easier. DAHIKT

Let me know how it works, Tom. I've been wanting to try it for a while now as well.....

Hire a spanish speaking nanny, its more fun and easier. DAHIKT

How do you propose I pay said nanny?

My definition of more fun and easier would be to just move to Cozumel, Belize, or Costa Rica fior a year and do immersion training right. :D

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom