Would you expect compensation from a live-aboard operator if…

Is some form of compensation warranted

• Yes

Votes: 159 73.6%
  • No

Votes: 57 26.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djanni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We’re interested in your opinion. Would you expect compensation from Explorer Ventures, operator of the Turks & Caicos Caribbean Explorer II if you and 7 other divers entered a sick boat, got sick yourselves and missed half or more of the available dives? The illness was not just a runny nose and/or a cough but one that caused fever and sent people to their rooms because they were too sick to stay out of bed.

Here’s the situation:
  • On arrival Saturday, January 26th and during the group welcome, the coughing/sniffling purser apologized to the 18 divers for being ill and went on to say that two weeks prior a guest brought a virus aboard which spread through the crew the following week.
  • The next morning the same sick crew member participated in breakfast preparations as well as serving and cleanup.
  • The cook was absent that week and the boat captain, who reportedly had also been sick the prior week, did all the cooking.
  • By Tuesday, the first two divers were sick; by Wednesday, 5 were sick; by Thursday, 6 were sick; and by Friday 7, were sick.
  • Five of the sick divers were on the main level of the boat, which is where the sick purser slept the prior week. She slept in the same room that the diver, who was probably sickest of all, was assigned.
  • During the week, another crew member got sick yet still helped with galley duties.
  • The duvet and matching pillow covers were not sanitized upon our departure, leaving them for the next group of guests. Yuk! This leaves us to assume they were not sanitized before our arrival.
  • During the week, guests requested the front and rear doors be opened to allow fresh air in as otherwise we were breathing germ-infested recycled air. They were opened but only twice and for short periods of time.
  • During the week the crew said they were sterilizing surfaces but were observed using Windex on the coffee table, glass doors and table tops only.
  • Friday evening while at dock in Provo, one of the sick divers went to see a doctor. The following Monday, my wife went to the doctor.
Out of the 27 possible dives, I managed only 14 dives (52%) and my wife only 7 dives (26%), because we were too sick. The other sick divers missed approximately the same number of dives.

This trip cost us $4,050 counting tip and related fees and excluding air fare and subsequent medical costs.

The crew knew there had been a lot of illness aboard the boat, yet took no extra measures to prevent its spread. We thought that under the circumstances we were due some form of compensation. We entered an admitted sick boat, got sick ourselves and missed a significant number of dives. A total of 8 people got sick and 5 of those were all on the main deck.

The owner of Explorer Ventures, Clay McCardell, with whom 6 of us have written to communicate our feelings and request compensation, has been quite cavalier and offers no compensation of any form. In essence, his position is: “The crew followed procedure… have a nice day.”

We’re wondering if you think some compensation would have been appropriate. Due to the fact we entered a sick boat resulting in 44% of the divers getting sick, should Explorer Ventures have taken some responsibility for the conditions aboard the boat and offered some form of compensation?

EDIT: Thinking some form of compensation is in order would be a "YES."

Thinking it's due but that you're not likely to get it -- is not a "NO."

I think even the curise ships where giving some sort of reimbursements when people got sick on there ships.

Good thing to consider before ever booking a trip with such a mercyless operator. Thats alot of cash for what needed to be a great dive vacation.

On arrival Saturday, January 26th and during the group welcome, the coughing/sniffling purser apologized to the 18 divers for being ill and went on to say that two weeks prior a guest brought a virus aboard which spread through the crew the following week.
Just wondering, seeing as you were all warned, did anyone bring up an objection prior to depature?

Also, what did the doctors say you had?
The owner of Explorer Ventures, Clay McCardell, with whom 6 of us have written to communicate our feelings and request compensation, has been quite cavalier and offers no compensation of any form. In essence, his position is: “The crew followed procedure… have a nice day.”
We have a very complete and detailed discription of events from your POV. It might help to see the complete response from the owner, too.

I am really tired of no one taking responsibility for their actions or the actions of those that represent them as in the owner of this Live Aboard.

You decoded my personal code for "I wrote something stupid and I hope nobody saw it yet.":D

What I wrote:

It sounds like they are ignorant of the basic precautions:

It is critical to control the “cruise ship virus” at the first sign of a suspected outbreak, Zembower said. Control measures include: frequent, rigorous hand washing with soap and water and strict attention to basic food and water sanitation measures.

Cruise ships must receive thorough and prompt disinfection using freshly prepared chlorine solutions, phenol-based compounds and accelerated hydrogen peroxide products; ill crew members must be isolated; and passengers must be isolated for 72 hours after they have recovered from the illness.

I'd bet much bigger cruise operators are also ignorant. I voted "no", I wouldn't "expect" compensation. I do think it would be fair for them to give you some though.

I made a huge jump to the conclusion that this was the Norwalk virus, then I re-read Don Janni's post and he didn't name any symptoms specific to a Norwalk virus--as far as I know.

Back
Top Bottom