Is it just me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I firmly believe that the skill level that one walks away from OW with is directly proportional to what they bring to the table. The more you've studied, and the more drills that you are able to visualize beforehand, coupled with the mindset to really learn how to dive, will give you a tremendous advantage over those students who are just out to get the card and just "get by". As you've found out...those divers are not hard to spot.

You should also be aware that some faltering students are really trying but just might need a dedicated buddy to help them along, and there's your chance to really shine.

I was the 5th student... the instructor paired me with them and told me why he did it later.... :D

All of my kids are certified AOW and nitrox.

One weekend our LDS had a try scuba event in their pool. YOu could invite folks that showed an interest in Scuba. We invited a family to the event.

My youngest (at the time she was 13) came to the surface and told me in no uncertain terms that we would never ever dive with any of those people.

SHE WAS RIGHT! What a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah I felt the same way. I had to rescue my buddy on the swim out to the float for the first dive. He started to sink uncontrollably and could not inflate his BC or swim back to the surface. I had to surface dive down and bring him back up. Instructor took him back to shore and he sat out dive.

After first dive was over and instructor had spent some time with my buddy, I got a chance to spend a few minutes with the instructor. I requested the instructor not to pair me up with him again. I felt I needed to concentrate more on myself and did not have the skill levels to take care of that buddy as well as myself. Fortunately, one of my fellow students husband was already certified and was appointed babysitter.

On the last dive, the instructor talked with me and requested I buddy with the guy again. I relented when instructor brought the babysitter over and paired the three of us together; instructor told buddy it was just me and him. Babysitter's role was to deal with any problems or rescues; I would supposed to just get out of the way and make sure instructor knew about any problems. My role was to just be buddy in normal training situations. The instructor wanted buddy to gain confidence and buddy was concerned because I would not dive with him. Unfortunately for me, instructors' confidence in me was very strong and he had already talked to me privately about further training and possibly becoming DM.

And before flaming the instructor, the incident was just one of those things that happen so quickly. I think it could have possibly happened if he had taken only me and my buddy on the first dive alone. It just happened so fast.

Many students struggle in the earliest phases of class, but it is hard to predict what will eventually happen to them. At one extreme, many decide that the sport is not for them, and they join the ranks of those who get certified, go on one or two trips, and then never dive again. At the other extreme, I know someone who, according to his own description, was just such a student you would never want to dive with. He is now a Course Director, the highest level of instructor. I suspect that rest can be found at any point between those extremes.

I was lucky in that, while my OW buddy (there were just two of us in the class) was not a natural "fish", he was eager to learn and an excellently attentive buddy. However, there is no way I would trust his tablework, lol!

It's pretty common. If you get to your open water dives and still feel strongly about not being buddied up with someone tell the instructor your concerns. I make every effort to pair people up that are good together. My concern is that you feel safe and have a good time.

Is it just me or do some of you feel the same way? I'm going through my OW class and started thinking to myself "There is no way I would want to dive with XXXXX in my class" I'm sure there may be some that are thinking the same thing about me and I know they are doing and completing the same skills I am.... but....

In my OW1 class in college, the instructors paired the strong swimmers with the weak. So this was always a common issue. I was lucky however because a very pretty young woman became my assigned buddy, and we got to hold hands for most of the underwater work. I remember her gripping my hand harder during our descents. Then I would look over at her and smile, and signal OK? and she would reply OK. Then her grip would relax again. The adrenaline rush from being her guardian angel gave me the strength of 10 ordinary people at the time. We both certified, without incident.

I was comfortable, being a strong competitive swimmer. If you are not comfortable, tell your instructor. Then he will probably assign a D/M to watch over you two. Everyone needs a buddy in an OW1 class.

In my OW class, everyone was pretty much evenly matched. In my AOW, however... let's just say that's when I learned to appreciate a pony. (great guy, just that he was task loading, camera + deep +..., I ended up with a solo ascent).

I haven't done my OW dives yet ... but I have been waiting for this for so long - I've read the book like 3 times, I bought the DVD's off ebay and ripped them to my video iPod and have watched them at least 5 times, and listened to them in the car on the way to work ... when we got to the pool ... it was just so natural. Everything made sense, everything was easy (except getting the BCD on and off under water). Fortunately, my "buddy" was my wife. I can't wait to finish and get my card!!!

the guy that i identified in confined water that i would never dive with actually didnt make it thru his OW as ocean dive #1 he freaked out while just standing with the water up to his knees.

sometimes i look at hubbys students and say to him "were we that bad when we started out?".... i suspect i was :wink:

for me the difference is do i see a newbie that is a uncordinated and clumsy or do i see a person that is in general a pita in day to day stuff (like agro driving or just slap happy in general) and do i want to be in a confined space and dependant on them. the first type of diver i can work with, the 2nd i avoid

i have been blessed with a number of mentors in my 10yrs of diving and grateful they continue to dive with me

cheers

Back
Top Bottom