Dengue in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Mike,

I along with my 7 year old twins live here in Cozumel about half the time (the other half at the headwaters of your river near Kerrville). There have been periodic cases here since 1992 that I know of, but I have not heard of anything more than a flu like symptoms when it has ocurred. So it is not a "new" epidemic.

There is little note of Dengue here and I suppose that just like the hurricane hype, may be overblown by whatever media outlet you have seen. I can tell you that I don't stay up nights worrying about my kids.

On the other hand I have heard that there may be an antibiotic resistant strain emerging but that seems to be the case for about all bugs.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

????....it's viral, antibiotics won't help except for fighting 2ndary infections....basically rest & keep hydrated.....

Dengue Fever Facts

I was in Cozumel in late January 2007 and I contracted Dengue Fever.

Bonecrusher Disease is it's other name. All I can say that it's an understatement.

It takes an elephant tranquilizer to knock me on my rear-end for only a day, and this illness had me immobilized in agony for a solid week, and seriously affected for several weeks.

It was no joke and it was quite nasty.

But seriously, with all of that said, I don't think it's anything that should affect vacation plans. There are illnesses that can be contracted anywhere from our home areas to our vacation destinations. Here in Connecticut where I live, a tic bite could give me Lyme Disease and it would also be disabling. Basically, everywhere, there's something to contract and there are precautions to take.

Perhaps now that people are more aware of it, people will take better safety precautions. But yes, it's there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom