New dive computer purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sealboy

Registered
Reaction score
Im thinking about buying a new dive computer to use in my PSD work as well as recreational diving. I've been looking at the suunto vyper2 model because it looks to have most of the features Im looking for and you fit it onto your arm. Alongside that I'll have a console with pressure gauge and a depth meter for backup.

I've seldomly used a dive computer in blackwater situations but I realize that the log system is quite handy in recording what Im doing during calls and excercises. Usually I only require the depth gauge and airtank pressure gauge.

I was wondering what computers you guys use on your rigs and why?

Robert Cabrera
Iceland.

Get a Sensus Pro recorder unit to log the dives and conditions if you're doing black water stuff since you can't see things anyways. :)

Our team used the Suunto EONs and upgraded to the Suunto Cobras later on. The feature I liked was the Suunto Cobra clocked the diver the moment he entered the water and clocked him every 20 seconds in the water column. The download to the PC and the team's electronic log books makes it easy to keep track of logged dives, both training and call outs.

Another advantage is the audible alarm when the diver is making too rapid of an ascent in black water. While a down line is ideal, the audible alarm is a great backup. I only wish it was a little louder.

As a team leader I can also see all of the "alarms" that are recorded in the log book and counsel our divers to dive safely.

I believe you will enjoy the features on the Suunto computer. Also, if you are not aware, Aqua Lung (the Suunto distributor) offers discount pricing to Public safety Divers. You will need your department ID and you have to ask your local Aqua Lung dealer for the special PSD pricing. (The discount also applies to regulators, BCs, etc)

For more information check the following hyperlink...
http://www.diverescueintl.com/doc/Aqua_Lung_PSD_discount_pricelist.pdf

Regards,

Blades Robinson

Alot of the teams around here use the dive rite duo. It has nice big numbers and a good backlight that make it easy to read. It is also pretty affordable. If you are not using a full face mask and use a regular scuba mask one of the new heads up displays might work well for you, but they are expensive. They have the computer display in the mask, so you can still see it in no vis.

Brent

We use just some simple air computers (sherwoods and oceanic) but I doubt that we will ever replace them when the time comes with any sort of time keeping device. We don't really use them for PSD so I'd advise spending the $ elsewhere. We only need something to measure depth and max depth.

As pickens said we usually can't see them anyway. All dive planning, time keeping and navigation is of course controlled by the tender on the surface. These times are also recorded on the surface.

The downloading ability can be nice (I use these types of computers for my sport diving) but for legality issues I think you'd want the divers time peices to be synchronus with the tender/profiler's time peices. All dive logs are generated from the dive profile drawn up on the surface

Thanks for the input guys, I've sent mails asking about the aqualung deal and if it can be extended to Iceland.

Back
Top Bottom