frog kick problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetRookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been trying to master the frog kick on my own but am finding it difficult. I find that it is very awkward for one of my legs, the other seems fine with it. Maybe I am lopsided:D

Is it normal to feel awkard when starting out learning to do it?

Great topic! I, too, am having issues with learning the frog kick so I'm looking forward to helpful replies. :)

I found a device at the gym that worked my ankles only. I stayed on that every day for almost a week working on the proper motion. In the water, I just relaxed and did my kicks very slowly. Is it perfect? Probably not... but I get through the water just fine.

I have to admit that it is not an easy kick to learn but if you keep on practicing it you will get the hang of it...

A couple of tricks...

1) The right fins for the the right job. Jet Fins with spring straps. It will be so difficult to flutter kick with JF that frog kicking will become second nature after a few dives...
2) Watch a couple of videos, http://www.frogkick.dk/multimedia/video/frogkick/
3) If possible ask for mentoring and if buddy has a videocamera or a PnS camera with video mode ask him to film you while you try to frog kick. It will help you to understand what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong...

I wasn't able to frog kick some time ago and if I can now it simply means that there is hope for everyone, believe me...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Cool, at least I know there is hope for me. I have turtle fins so I am good there.

A video of myself would be a good idea, I actually just got a camera so I will be able to do this. Good thinking. Mentoring will be a little difficult but I think I can pull that one off

NetDoc, what machine did you use?

Many people ARE lopsided in terms of muscle length or strength. You can have muscles on one side that are shorter, and/or weaker than the same muscles on the other side.

Although one may think primarily of the knees being bent, or the movement of the ankles during a frog kick, there's another important action: internal and external rotation at the hip. In plain english, if you're sitting down as you read this, first straighten your right knee. Then turn your right foot so that your toes point in: this action is really coming from your hip, and is called internal rotation. Now turn your foot so your toes point out: this is external rotation at the hip. Both movements are needed in the frog kick.

<anatomy nerd alert on>

Tensor fascia lata and the anterior part of gluteus medius (these are muscles at the front of the hip) cause internal hip rotation. Piriformis and the posterior part of gluteus medius (at the back of the hip) are responsible for external rotation. Interestingly, the sciatic nerve runs underneath piriformis muscle, and piriformis can compress the nerve leading to one cause of "sciatica".

Part of the power in the frog kick comes from snapping the feet together, and this is due to external hip rotation. Piriformis is a small muscle, and one that's not used a lot if you're sitting at a desk during the day, for example. People often have one piriformis shorter than the other, or one piriformis weaker that the other. In either case, this can cause a lopsided feeling when frog kicking.

<anatomy nerd alert off>

If you want to know if one of your piriformis muscles is shorter than the other, you'll need someone to observe the following. Lie face down on the floor, legs together. Bend your knees to 90 degrees, keeping your ankles touching. Now let your ankles move apart as far as they'll go (but keep your knees together, and bent to 90 degrees). Ask the observer (standing at your head) to see how far your feet move from the starting point. If, for example, your right foot moves farther from the upright starting point (in other words, comes closer to the floor) than the left foot, the right piriformis is longer than the left.

So, you'd stretch the left piriformis to correct this. One way to stretch left piriformis is to lie on your back, right foot on the floor, right hip and knee bent. Now bend your left hip and knee, and place your left ankle on your right thigh. Reach both hands behind your right knee, and bring your right thigh towards your torso. This will pull your left ankle and leg towards your torso also, and stretch your left piriformis.

If anyone's interested, I can continue with how to assess for strength of piriformis, and how to strenghten it at a later time.

Start by pulling your heels toward your butt a little and then into the outward circle. At the end, think about clapping the soles of your feet together. Pause between cycles and take the glide.

I learned with my fins on while laying on a coffee table. One, you get the feel of arching yourself correctly. Then it helps to have someone who knows what the kick is and should look like to move your legs in the right positions. Once I mastered it above water it was easier in water. I do find that I do not extend enough and so kick too much. It should be a glide just like a frog, kind of like a long stroke. http://www.divetekadventures.com/Images.htm Hopefully this website can help too. Now what I am working on is doing the kick backwards and learning to back up! Sheesh it looks easy until you try it! LOL!

Good luck!
Carolyn:sharks:

I was so retarded, my Fundies instructor had to grab my fins and "pattern" me through the kick before I got it. And blade fins helped a ton. But I still have one foot that occasionally wants to go through the movement backward. None of us is symmetrical in strength OR coordination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom