Call out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a question, do the news stations always give so much attention and detail to suicides? (assuming this was a suicide) It'd be very inappropriate in Iceland I'd think, altho the media are getting more and more aggressive.

Sealboy:
I've got a question, do the news stations always give so much attention and detail to suicides? (assuming this was a suicide) It'd be very inappropriate in Iceland I'd think, altho the media are getting more and more aggressive.

Yup, it seems to be a sport that is gaining in popularity. More and more of them are choosing the water but this one may have been a slip off the bridge. The investigation showed that she intended to hang herself. She had the rope with her but didn’t get it tied off.

Trends do change. Years ago a woman would clean the house, pay the bills, make sure the laundry and dishes were done and take care of all those minute details before taking a hand full of pills and going to bed. Men on the other hand would get drunk, not pay the bills, not take care of any details, leave the house in a mess and see how far they could scatter themselves over as many rooms as possible.

Today women are compeating with the guys for the shock factor and they are winning.

It’s an awful permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Gary D.

I would love a nice, easy, neat suicide by drowning. My last one was a guy who literally carved himself around his neck and wrists with a steak knife until he finally bled out. Couldn't seem to get an artery.

Jcsgt:
I would love a nice, easy, neat suicide by drowning. My last one was a guy who literally carved himself around his neck and wrists with a steak knife until he finally bled out. Couldn't seem to get an artery.
Was that Mr. Darwin? :wink:

Gary D.

Sealboy:

To answer your question about the media, yes it's inappropiate most likely. But here in the US, the media does what it can to "sensationalize" anything they are reporting on.

Example: Every cable news channel here all had "direct live feeds" of helicopter coverage of Anna Nichole Smiths hearse moving her body to the airport. You'd thought it was O.J. again from the helicopter news coverage.

The news media is a joke here. They aren't out to tell te story with factual content, but to make their ratings go up so they can sell more advertising.

EDIT: To show you how big of a joke the media is.... yes they put the article on the web so you can watch it. However I didn't watch it because my virus software stopped it because they had spyware on that web page that was trying to scan something on my computer. So... in order to pay for their broadcast, they are allowing some other company to run trash software. go figure. no integrity in the media at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom