What is an "Instructor Factory"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

In posts relating to dive-instructor training, I often see references here at SB about "instructor factories." I'm wondering what you all consider a "factory". Not a shop name, but the kind of environment, etc.

Usually, the term factory is used prejoratively. But is it really a bad thing? If you think so, what the better alternative?

Looking for some opinions for an upcoming blog article.

Thanks!

The Dvie Advisor
http://diveadvisor.wordpress.com

"instructor factories."
Refers to the Zero to Hero courses, enter as a Open water or in some cases a non diver and 8-12 weeks and $3000-$5000 later you come out as an instructor.
They are big in Bali, Indo and the South Pacific.

Makes for a so called 'instructor' with very little diving experience in adverse or challenging conditions, and IMHO a very poor role model for students.

Cheers
Chriso

Sydney_Diver:
"instructor factories."
Refers to the Zero to Hero courses, enter as a Open water or in some cases a non diver and 8-12 weeks and $3000-$5000 later you come out as an instructor.

Makes for a so called 'instructor' with very little diving experience in adverse or challenging conditions, and IMHO a very poor role model for students.

Cheers
Chriso

Ahh kind of like college. in that you subject the students to continuous training, with little to no real world experience, resulting in "graduates" who think they know everything, then are surprised when they hit the real world, that they really know very little.

Although the first post is probably the right answer, my thought when I read the question was of a local shop I know where students make instructor less than a year after they get certified. When they see a student who is really taken with the sport, they really encourage that person to go quickly through the course sequence. One of the DMs who worked with my OW class had been diving for eight months. I thought that was odd at the time, and I still do. I just don't think you can have the experience to be a good instructor in that short a time. I don't think I have the experience to instruct YET, after two years and 300+ dives.

To be fair, it doesn't have to be a all inclusive zero to hero factory place either. Any shop is capable of doing the same thing, or a combination of shops. I mean a diver can bounce between shop A,B,C . OW at shop A, AOW at shop B the next week, back to A for Rescue and then to C for DM and so forth.
I mean there are a few stages that require a min of logged dives, but most of the training dives will fulfill those if they get a specialty or 2 inbetween them.

Plus just because your a great diver doesn't mean your going to have any clue how to instruct...Just like I know plenty of people that would be great teachers but are in another field and I also know some teachers that are completely incapable of teaching yet have masters of education.
Experience does count for something, but its not everything...education, natural talent,drive and ambition still count for alot.

TSandM:
Although the first post is probably the right answer, my thought when I read the question was of a local shop I know where students make instructor less than a year after they get certified. When they see a student who is really taken with the sport, they really encourage that person to go quickly through the course sequence. One of the DMs who worked with my OW class had been diving for eight months. I thought that was odd at the time, and I still do. I just don't think you can have the experience to be a good instructor in that short a time. I don't think I have the experience to instruct YET, after two years and 300+ dives.
Yep ... I've dived with some of those DM's, and most of them wouldn't be able to pass my AOW class (no buoyancy control, poor trim, and very little situational awareness).

Taking advantage of someone's enthusiasm by pushing them from one class to the next doesn't make them a very good diver. There are no shortcuts ... if you want to gain decent skills you simply have to get out and dive ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Chasing the dollars at the expense of the sport.......infuriating.

Sydney_Diver:
"instructor factories."

Cheers
Chriso

OH-JJ:
Ahh kind of like college. in that you subject the students to continuous training, with little to no real world experience, resulting in "graduates" who think they know everything, then are surprised when they hit the real world, that they really know very little.

Boy ain't that the truth. Prime example, Engineering. I've seen millions in new projects that never worked. Like a kid with a lot of money. Buy the new toy before it's proven. Now they have programs that take 5 years to complete for a 4 year degree and they still don't know there head from there you know what.

Do like a lot of military programs and 1.5 years of your school is working. Not as an engineer but as an operator so you learn the equipment.

This thread is really revealing and possibly just a bit grating. Now don't start to bristle, because what it reveals to me is not something necessarily linked to diving, but education in general. You see, I teach in Texas and there is a bit of a teacher shortage. To alleviate that dilemma, our legislature has passed a law allowing persons to become certified as public education teachers. All they need is a degree (in just about anything), pass a short series of online "modules" or courses, and then pass a proficiency exam in the area in which they desire to teach. Presto! They are "teachers".
What's ironic to me is that every post on this board so far says that is inadequate for scuba. We desire and even demand that instructors have experience, advanced training, and good teaching skills so that students get the most from their training (as it should be). But then our society will condone and even promote the practice of "certifying" untrained people into the ranks of professional educators, and they will teach our children from kindergarten to grade 12. Amazing.
Thanks for allowing me to vent for a bit. (breath in....breath out....breath in...breath out...)
sigh. I feel better now. : ) Have a great day!

Guba:
This thread is really revealing and possibly just a bit grating. Now don't start to bristle, because what it reveals to me is not something necessarily linked to diving, but education in general. You see, I teach in Texas and there is a bit of a teacher shortage. To alleviate that dilemma, our legislature has passed a law allowing persons to become certified as public education teachers. All they need is a degree (in just about anything), pass a short series of online "modules" or courses, and then pass a proficiency exam in the area in which they desire to teach. Presto! They are "teachers".
What's ironic to me is that every post on this board so far says that is inadequate for scuba. We desire and even demand that instructors have experience, advanced training, and good teaching skills so that students get the most from their training (as it should be). But then our society will condone and even promote the practice of "certifying" untrained people into the ranks of professional educators, and they will teach our children from kindergarten to grade 12. Amazing.
Thanks for allowing me to vent for a bit. (breath in....breath out....breath in...breath out...)
sigh. I feel better now. : ) Have a great day!
Yeah, well ... political slogans notwithstanding, education hasn't been a priority in this country for at least 40 years ... but that's a topic for a different thread (if not a different board) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom