Why did you start diving doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LG Diver:
Thanks for the thoughts, all of you.

After having done a lot of research on DIR, including buying and reading "Dress for Success" and "DIR: The Fundamentals of Better Diving" I feel like I have a decent understanding of not only the DIR gear config but the overall philosophy, and it makes sense to me. While I haven't fully embraced some of the finer details (I still have a knob on my rear dump valve) I think that, in general, the system is very well thought out and it will take me as far as I care to go in diving, i.e., I won't need to re-learn a new gear config later down the road as I advance. Sorry- don't mean to hijack my own thread :D

So, nobody thinks it odd for me to go to doubles if all my current dive buddies are in single tanks (and most of them in Al 80's)? I'd probably go with a smaller set of steel doubles since most of my diving is beach diving.

Thanks again,
John

So John, Have you met any "DIR" guys yet? :eyebrow: I hear there might be a few that dive in Monterey.... there's might even be a T2 guy living in LG

I started diving doubles last year after about 1900 dives. I take pictures now and dive solo a lot and as I get older, the clearer I can see my mortality. I wanted to get a solo cert but I also wanted to know more about decompression. I took terrific "over-taught" Advanced Nitrox and Deco courses from Atlantis Tech in the Philippines and learned a lot of things that have changed my diving in certain ways. I will continue to dive solo, most of the time without doubles as all of my diving is done in warm open water, good vis locations but to me the training was invaluable. As someone put it here, a couple more tools in the toolbox.

Ben_ca:
So John, Have you met any "DIR" guys yet? :eyebrow: I hear there might be a few that dive in Monterey.... there's might even be a T2 guy living in LG

Why, no I haven't. I'd love to though. PM on the way.

I started diving doubles in order to do tec. I pursued tec in order to generally improve my overall diving skills, and maybe go a little deeper and stay a little longer (IOW, no plans to dive the Doria at this point). As I noted in a separate post, I suggest that anyone thinking about tec in the future consider setting up doubles and diving them a lot, well before starting tec (if that is where you might be headed).

There is a bit of a financial issue, of course. But, it sounds like you have been in a position to set up much of your future tec equipment (eg, BP/W, drysuit) already, and an additional investment in several tanks may not be out of the question. Before tec, I was diving single E-7 120s (had two of them), as well as an AL80, and had a AL40 pony. I set up my 80 and my 40 as deco bottles for tec, and doubled my 120s, which has left me without a good tank for single tank deeper dives (>100'). Taking down the doubles to dive the tanks as singles, then reassembling them for doubles is just not very practical, and I am enough of an air hog that an 80 is not functional on NC coastal wrecks. So, I am now looking at adding a couple of 130s to dive as singles, in those situations where that is all I want to dive. 'Ka-ching' goes the cash register, I guess!

Seriously, the bottom line is that, if you are thinking about tec, you may want to go ahead and set up some doubles (AL 80s, or steel 95s, or steel 100s, or even 130s) now, and possibly invest in an additional good single tank (a 130 for instance) to have flexibility. At least, that has been my experience.

>>My thinking is that the more diving I do in doubles, the more I'll have the skills ingrained when I get to tech even if it's not for a while. <<

Yes, yes, yes! I believe you are thinking along optimal lines. Kudos.

>>So, if all my dive buddies are diving singles with recreational (non-DIR) setups, is moving to doubles a bit overkill? <<

Not necessarily. I will dive my doubles on what is a single tank dive for my buddies, just to keep working on developing doubles experience. So, I come up with them when their air gets to the turn point, and I just don't change tanks between dives when they do.

>>Should I save the move to doubles for when I have a more definite timeline for tech, and for when I start diving with others that are diving doubles?<<

As you might infer, I suggest you not wait, if there is even a reasonable chance you will pursue tec. Tec training is a good experience - humbling, challenging, frustrating and rewarding. Being comfortable with your equipment when you start may well tilt the scale more toward the rewarding and away from the frustrating.

I started with doubles for cave/tec side. My wife started diving doubles because she was sick of getting air fills (singles) while I had plenty of gas (doubles). Now she has gone the cave/tec route.
We own 104's, 85's and 80's. I'm considering a set of 121's/150's and likely will try a set in a couple weeks with my next pilgrimage to NFL. I haven't dove a single in a couple years.

I started diving doubles so that I could start tech diving. I really like having the ability to isolate my gas supply in the event of a regulator failure, failed O ring, or blown burst disk. Not likely to happen, but I think in terms of "worst case" scenarios a lot.
I love how they feel in the water, actually- very stable.

....... tec diving.

I also started diving doubles (AL80s) in order to pursue technical dive training. Must admit I've become addicted to the convenience and stability so now I try to dive doubles whenever I can, tech or rec.

The first time I dove doubles was during a course that required it. I would recommend others to do it differently...

I do quite a bit of "remote" shore-diving and it´s nice to be able to do two decent decodives on one set of doubles without needing to mess with fills between dives...

I have seen this question posed many times.

My personal thoughts come from seeing folks adopt doubles without a complete understanding of what their purpose is. I have had people tell me they got them for the bottom time, or to get experience. My personal opinion is that if you are going to get experience with doubles it should be as part of a training program. Although a lot of folks wont agree, I believe that doubles have a specific place, also a person shouldnt be diving doubles with people who arent, they may not (most likely wont) undestand the set up and will be unable to assist you if needed in an emergency. You yourself may not understand it. As for reading about a particular method or set up, All the reading in the world is not a substitution for appropriate training.

Just my 2 cents

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom