got a new to me boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Da Nizz

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi I just picked up a new to me 89 bayliner center console. The boat is 18.5'. However it did not come with a motor. I have been thinking about putting a 80 - 115 hp motor on it although I am not to sure what size. I thought all of you might be able to give me some feedback. I thought I could pick up a used one for a fair price but its looking to be a challenge. If anyone could give some advice it would be greatly appreciated.

there should be a capcities plate that says what's the largest size for that particular boat. I will suggest only getting the largest enough engine that you will need. This also takes into account how easy to get onto plane and how effeciency rates come into play.

Manufacturers to look at...
the new evinrude e-tec and mercury.

a 115 would be a good size for that boat,center consoles are heavy boats,i would stay with the bigger motor. How much are you wanting to pay? I might part with a 115 horse evinrude for the right price.

Congrats on your new boat, nizzy! First let me say I like your sense of humor. You actually used the words "fair price" when talking about boat motors. I second the above suggestions to get the most motor the boat is rated for, as long as gas consumption is not a major concern. I have an Evinrude 150 on mine, but for my dollar if I could find one used, I'd buy a Mercury. The new Evinrude e-tecs are supposed to be awesome, but I have yet to be on a boat with one.

Are you going to be installing the motor yourself? That might save you quite a bit. Marinas around here are getting $90/hr and it shouldn't be that hard to route your controls, steering cables, etc. If you have not owned a boat before, you'll find it better to become your own mechanic on things you can do yourself or you pay big bucks.

Have fun with your new toy!

You'll find that the cost of the motor is way more than the cost of the boat. The newer technology outboards are very expensive and some are plagued with repair issues. (Do a web search on Evinrude FICHT motors). Without knowing where and how you plan on using your boat, I would suggest you look for and early 90's OMC 2 stroke in the 90-150 hp range. If cared for properly these motors run for 1000 hours or more. If possible try to find a motor that was used in fresh water and cared for properly. If you are mechanically inclined yo can get a manual and do most of the repairs and mantenance yourself on these older motors. The newer injected 2 strokes or four strokes are not as easlily owner serviceable. I have found that locating these motors can be challenging, but check with the marinas and boat repair shops in your area. Many times they will repair and resell trade ins.

Nizzy
When I was looking for outboards for my boat there are several Marina’s down in Florida that sells demo motors and motors off their rental fleet. They seem to be a good value but didn’t research it at all being my dealer gave me an awesome deal on a new pair of motors.
The older 2 strokes will eat you out of house and home they are thirsty little things. The newer 2 stokes and 4 strokes will go through about half the gas as an old 2 stroke. But like soggypretzel mentioned at least you can work on the older mototrs. If you buy a used motor off of someone not well known check it out I’ve been hearing roomers of a bunch of flooded outboards on the market do to all of the flooding last year.

Nizzy- While and older 2 stroke is less efficient than the new 2 strokes or 4 strokes, in the 90-150hp range the difference is very negligible. You may get a 20% improvement by spending another 5 or 6K for a newer motor. But if you consider that you may burn 20 gals of fuel on a typical day, your net savings is only 1 or 2 gals of fuel, not enough to cause you to miss a mortgage payment. If you are looking at twin 250's then it starts making sense to look at the newer technology. It sounds like you are in the same boat (pun intended) as me. You are looking to get into a boat without totally depleting your bank account. I own two, a 16 ft inshore boat with a 1990 Johnson 88 SPL, and a 24ft with a 2000 Johnson 225hp OceanPro. Both of these motors are loud, smokey, and "eat" the fuel (all arguments you'll hear as reasons to buy a new motor) but the bottom line is they run everytime I go to use them and I paid less than half what a newer motor would cost. Look around they're out there.

Thanks for the responses everyone. The boat is rated for 125 hp max although I figured if I went with a smaller engine it would help save gas $$$$. However everyone seems to be saying the same thing "the bigger the better". Basically I just want to get on the water. I'll probably check out some local shops this weekend unless divinginn has a reasonable offer. Although its a bit of a drive. Anyway thanks again.

I don't agree that going for the max HP is the most efficient in all cases. If you're going to load your boat to the max with people, dive gear and fuel, yes. But if you and one buddy go out with 25 gallons of gas, a 90 to 115 hp would work with the right prop. You'll go a bit slower but you'll be glad when you fuel up. And believe, me, there is a difference in fuel consumption between a Yamaha 150 hp carbureted two stroke (a 2005) and a 115 hp four stroke (of any brand) or ETEC. In my case on a 22 center console, the 150 yamaha used 70% more gas than my 115 Merc 4 stroke.

Back
Top Bottom