Flights to Marshall Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HRW

Reaction score
Anyone have information on how I can get the lowest airfare from Bangkok to Majuro and return. Suggestions on a travel agency greatly appreciated

There's not a lot of scheduled service to Majuro .... i was just there yesterday.

To the best of my knowledge, there are only two ways to get there (other than chartering a plane) ... Air Micronesia (Continental Airlines) serves MAJ from Guam and from Honolulu 3 days a week... (leaves from Guam and HNL on Mon, Wed, Fri)
Aloha also serves Majuro from Hawaii.

From Bankok, I'd get to Guam, then take Continental to Majuro ... you get to stop in Chuuk, Pohnpei, Kosrae, Kwajelein, and Majuro ... leaves at 8:20 am, takes about 8 hours, including stops.... 90% of the time, the best views of the islands are from the right side of the plane.

(also talk to the pilots when you get onboard... if the weather's nice, we'll make a circle before we land ... fly over the popular wreck dives in Trukk lagoon and such... make sure we know what side of the plane you're on)

Thanks for the information. My daughter is doing a year of volunteer teaching in Majuro and her description of the diving is fantastic. Is there any way of getting a discount from the regular fare on Continental from Guam.

you have to be a resident of micronesia I think to get a discount.

Can you get your daughter to do a post on her diving in Majuro - there have been a few queries before and most, including myself, have not been too complimentary.

If I get to venture back to Bikini it would be nice to know where to go diving in Majuro other than the dead coral wall....

Jonathan

In Majuro ...
On the west end of the atoll, there is the remains of a B-26 (wing, and engines) in about 20 ft of water ... it is on the reef, on the lagoon side. The fuselage has been washed away, but the wreck is visible from the air ...

There are probably other wrecks around ... Otherwise it doesn't appear to have anything other than the atoll reef.

Jim...Looks like it has been a while since anyone talked about the Marshall Islands. I think things may have changed. Do you have any current information? Looks like we are trying for Feb / Mar 2007. Any info on dive operations there and to the north....good spots etc....any advice? Dy

Aloha Sirensmyst,

I live in Hawaii and have been to Marshall Islands a couple times as well as Bikini. One operation I would recommend in Majuro is Bako Divers run by Jerry Ross. He used to have his operation at the old Outrigger Hotel but moved to an area by Robert Reimers. You can find links on the web with a Google search or search the boards here for Bako or maybe it is Bakko Divers or Jerry Ross. I have seen posting from other people who know him. If you can get to Rongelap or Jaluit there is some good diving there and pristine as it is off the beaten path. There used to be another outfit that did diving and fishing but they moved to New Zealand. Also was a liveaboard for awhile called Oleanda but that seems to have gone bust. I had a reservation on it for a week in Kwajalein in April but they ran into problems with Army in Kwaj as well as boat needed to be dry docked. Not sure if it will ever come back, to bad as it was a way to get into Kwaj, which is closed to outsiders. Can only go there if invited by someone you know. After that fell through I did two weeks at Bikini. I just posted a short trip report on Bikini in this section of the forums.Cheers
Pacifichiflyer

Thank you so much for the information. This does give me a better picture. I remember the Oleanda and didn't know it was having trouble. My goal is to get to Rongelap/Jaluit....but is proving to be a challenge. I will check on your trip to Bikini...the only one I know that was there was Bozantic and he went a while ago so fresh info will be greatly appreciated.
I lived in Maui for a while....and will be on the Big Is at the end of Sept....
Thanks again for your reply....Dy

I will also thow in some good words for Bako Divers. We were there in May prior to going onto Bikini. This was after the Oleanda canceled our trip and Jerry really did a good job giving us some very nice diving. I would be very cautious if the Oleanda ever gets up and running again. Just not a well run operation and after taking to locals in Majuro I think they did us a favor canceling (this does not mean that the diving on the outer islands would be fantastic). I would be one of the first in line if someone gets a good liveaboard running in the Marshall Islands.

Back
Top Bottom