Dumb and Dumber and Dumberer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
How many things can you screw up in one dive day. Where do I begin? I think it starts with new eqpt. Used my "new" e-bay S&S 16 Nikonos WA lens today for the first time. Soooo, carefully checked to see that my memory was clear before loading the camera in the housing. Didn't look to see if there was a card in it! Screw up #1-got two pictures (RAW) and camera yells "Memory full, Internal." Picture comes into my brain of the card laying on the corner of my desk at home. Finished a fabulous dive at Outer Chase Reef off Point Pinos, and loaded a card in the camera. Screw up #2-apparently forgot to clip one of the two clips. When I got home and opened the housing, the dessicant was soaked and there was about a tablespoon of water on the camera and in the housing. So far, no damage done (Whew!) Screw up #3. Overtightened the WA lens. Went to remove it UW to take macros and the port started to unscrew. Retightened, held the port and got the lens off. Couldn't get the step ring off till I got home and took a wrench to it. Screw up #4. Tested the Sunpak at a higher output to use for the WA's. Worked fine. Forgot to turn it down for the macros. Whited out about half of them. Had two great dives. Got about 5 decent pictures out of 60. Was lucky the camera survived the trip. Oh, well-better luck Sunday! Will post one or two when I finish processing them.

Geeze Larry, bad day huh? I've done the same thing with a card before, and had to keep deleting to take more shots. I've actually left the lens cap on my camera before too.

I'm glad your camera was OK...:D

he he, join the mess-up club.
My favorite on was getting to depth to be staring at the lens cap through the housing!
Can't wait to see the images Larry! ...anyway, we have fun, huh?

After the dive, my friend Doc told me about the several times he's gone down with the big dome, turned on the camera and saw the lens cap underneath it.

I had a similar experience last week during a night dive. While getting my gear on, the divemaster alerted me to the fact that the dinghy was tied to the boat and to be aware of the rope when leaving the boat. I was so concerned about that, that when I finally walked off the boat, I forgot to hold my mask. Whoops! There went my mask off into neverland. The DM gave me a backup to look for my mask, and then he handed my camera down to me. I started my descent, looked at my computer with my left hand (which was holding my camera), and got down to the bottom, without a camera and without my primary mask! Doh! Luckily I had my flashlight and quickly found my mask a few yards away from me. Visibility was excellent, and I found my camera sitting gently on the sand. Whew! The dive turned out to be great and I ended the dive back on the boat with all equipment attached to my BC. :)

tuff luck larry.. glad to hear the camera is good...

i can't tell you the amount of times i have gone down, tried to take a pic, and gone right back up again to fix somethin..

Just don't tell dennis and cathering that, they trying to learn from me... :mooner:

HA! I've been diving with you way too much Mike...:D

:mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner:

Not knowing much on the subject, but my rule is always to take at least 1 photo on the boat for 2 reasons:
1) if any of my divers are eaten by a shark, I have a photo of them to send to their loved ones :) and
2) (this is the real reason) If you've forgotten to put in batteries, or the card is upside down or whatever, you can deal with it a lot better on the boat than you can underwater. (I probably did 3 or 4 dives with an inoperable camera for those reasons!)

Larry C:
How many things can you screw up in one dive day. Where do I begin? I think it starts with new eqpt. Used my "new" e-bay S&S 16 Nikonos WA lens today for the first time. Soooo, carefully checked to see that my memory was clear before loading the camera in the housing. Didn't look to see if there was a card in it! Screw up #1-got two pictures (RAW) and camera yells "Memory full, Internal." Picture comes into my brain of the card laying on the corner of my desk at home. Finished a fabulous dive at Outer Chase Reef off Point Pinos, and loaded a card in the camera. Screw up #2-apparently forgot to clip one of the two clips. When I got home and opened the housing, the dessicant was soaked and there was about a tablespoon of water on the camera and in the housing. So far, no damage done (Whew!) Screw up #3. Overtightened the WA lens. Went to remove it UW to take macros and the port started to unscrew. Retightened, held the port and got the lens off. Couldn't get the step ring off till I got home and took a wrench to it. Screw up #4. Tested the Sunpak at a higher output to use for the WA's. Worked fine. Forgot to turn it down for the macros. Whited out about half of them. Had two great dives. Got about 5 decent pictures out of 60. Was lucky the camera survived the trip. Oh, well-better luck Sunday! Will post one or two when I finish processing them.

:lol: Man, when s**t hits the fan, it really hits the fan :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom