Suunto Cobra Malfunction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used the Cobra for years, and I've got nothing but the best things to say about it. I really like the quick disconect feature on mine too. I'm sorry to hear so many people haev problems with it. Mine's taken a beating, and I use it from the 64 degree water here in NY to the 130 foot depths of bonaire, and I've got not a single complaint. Maybe I got lucky?

I had the Suunto Solution for 15 years and it worked fine. I just got the Vyper and like it so far. I really hope it doesn't do the same thing as your Cobras.

driftin' by:
Now with 70 dives under my belt, I beginning to find that I despise a lot of my gear that I bought after having about 20 dives... Seaquest ProQD+ BC (which I absolutely loathe and is up for sale now), Aqualung Blade II fins and Mythos mask. We have purchased all of our gear, at a premium price, from a previous LDS with the exception of a couple of dive lights and never actually got to realize any of the so called benefits of buying from an LDS that so many talk about. I complained to them early on about my BC, Mask and Fins to absolutely no avail. Sorry, I know this isn't the place for this discussion but I saw the word despise and it got me all fired up. Since we moved to Texas we now have a new LDS and hopefully they're better. For starters, they don't stock Aqualung products which seems to be the line I have the most problems with.

I had to smile when I read this since basically the exact same thing happened to me with replacing my mask, fins, and BC within 50 dives.

Now that you live in Texas, if you find that your LDS isn't quite what you want, you really should take a little jaunt up to the Dallas area and visit ScubaToys. Between the amount of stock they carry, their great prices, excellent customer service, and your ScubaBoard discount, the drive will likely be well worth it. :D Oh, but be aware that they don't carry Suunto products....me thinks Larry isn't a fan. :wink:

Dustinh:
I've used the Cobra for years, and I've got nothing but the best things to say about it....... Maybe I got lucky?

Maybe you have lower expectations of what a computer should be capable of for the price.

Chaseh:
Maybe it had originally been in its box for awhile and the battery started off low. Then on that dive it reflected a low bat and you replacing it was the right move. Sometimes batteries seem to regain a bit of life when shuffled with, and did so when to put the original back in, but would be impossible to know unless you then started using it again and it quickly died. Was there then any problems with the new battery?

Do either of you recall what the battery indicator was at when the computer was first activated shortly before that dive or dives earlier that week? Was is full?

Battery indicated full both before the dive and after re-installing it. However, not having the manual with us, I began to second guess myself as to whether or not four segments indicated full or empty since mine showed four segments as well. Little did I know, it will indicate "Low Batt" when the battery is more then half-way exhausted.

Dustinh:
I've used the Cobra for years, and I've got nothing but the best things to say about it. I really like the quick disconect feature on mine too. I'm sorry to hear so many people haev problems with it. Mine's taken a beating, and I use it from the 64 degree water here in NY to the 130 foot depths of bonaire, and I've got not a single complaint. Maybe I got lucky?

I'm glad yours works well for you. Mine has worked well for me however being more experienced now, my biggest complaint is that it lacks some features and the dive manager software BLOOOOWS!

dherbman:
Maybe you have lower expectations of what a computer should be capable of for the price.

And continuing that thought in agreement with dherbman, there is no single other non-hose less, air integrated, recreational diving computer out there that costs more. I don't buy, what is perceived to be the best, only to be beached while other's are having fun. Obviously my perception based on little experience was somewhat skewed.

Thanks for all the feedback... it's comforting to know others have experienced problems too. I just hope that Suunto will make things right with us by giving us confidence that it wont spazz out again for any reason except battery failure which I can accept. I am however thankful that the batteries are user-replaceable and that I was able to simply resolve the issue otherwise she would have been stuck with a gauge and table diving and who wants to do that in a place like Cozumel?

Perhaps you have just had bad luck. I have three cobras and never had a problem with them on any of hundreds of dives. Out of curiosity have you discussed the issue with the dive shop where you bought it? At the dive shops I’ve worked with, they’ve stood behind the products they’ve sold and would tend to “make it right” if they could.

Perhaps you have just had bad luck. I have three cobras and never had a problem with them on any of hundreds of dives. Out of curiosity have you discussed the issue with the dive shop where you bought it? At the dive shops I’ve worked with, they’ve stood behind the products they’ve sold and would tend to “make it right” if they could.

MikeS:

Hey! You wrote the exact same thing as that guy MikeS did just above your post!:D

Not only is my relationship spoiled with the LDS where I purchased it, they're located 1346 miles away from where I now live but it's not like they'd do anything anyhow. In this situation, I'll give Suunto the opportunity to remedy the situation otherwise I'll... hummmmmmmm.... I don't like making threats but you get my drift?

I have only had my Cobra for a year and have put 80 dives on it with temps as low as 34 deg F. It has worked well for me. My prior computer was an Aeris AI which I bought from LP, it failed after 30 dives so I returned it and another was sent to me, it failed after another 8 dives and returned it again. I did not trust the AI so that is why I bought the Cobra from my LDS. It seems win or lose with these computers, a lot of people love the Aeris AI but it did not work for me, but I did like it's size and simple functions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom