Antigua...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCBeachRealtor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How's the diving in Antigua. Anyone been lately? We are researching both Antigua and Montserrat. Seems like there are VERY few places to stay on the beach in Montserrat... so now we are thinking about Antigua... and maybe just a day trip to Montserrat.
Thanks a bunch,
Jenn. :)

SCBeachRealtor:
How's the diving in Antigua. Anyone been lately? We are researching both Antigua and Montserrat. Seems like there are VERY few places to stay on the beach in Montserrat... so now we are thinking about Antigua... and maybe just a day trip to Montserrat.
Thanks a bunch,
Jenn. :)

Not sure how the actual diving is (didn't dive at the time). However, I stayed at the Royal Antiguan about 8 years ago and it is on the beach. In addition, there were a few different dive ops that serviced it, picking up and dropping off on the beach. One of them actually moored there at the time. They also appeared to be running a spearfishing trip as they were bringing a catch back from the afternoon trips on most days.

The resort was very nice from what I recall and the island seemed "reasonably" safe but I really didn't explore too much. I would look into that a little more. If you do go, Shirley Heights is a great place to spend an afternoon / evening SI.

Ive always been attracted to Antiqua. I understand beautiful beaches. But, if you going for the diving, choose elsewhere.

I was in Antigua in late November, staying at Curtain Bluffs. Definately gorgeous beaches. I did not dive while we were there, but saw other people diving. The resort has their own boat and tanks and goes out in the morning. Talked to some people who did do the dive and they said it was good, but I have no idea what they were comparing it to. If you do choose Antigua and stay over on a Sunday night you have to take a taxi to Shirley Heights for the bbq and steel drum band. It was one of the highlights of my trip!

It has been a few years but I would not call it a great dive area. The reefs seemed to all be white from the sand and everything looked washed out. At the time I was just happy to be under water because I was outlaw diving. It was before I had a cert and used the " I forgot my card " routine. After an intensive Q&A session I was paying for a dive.
365 Beaches which are beautiful but the diving and snorkeling were nothing to write home about. The Sunset at Shirleys was nice but was very crowded and EXPENSIVE. They ship every tourist on the Island to Shirleys on Sundays for some Pan music and a BBQ while watching the sunset. The real fun starts after the tourist buses leave and the locals come out for serious partying.
The tour of the pineapple plantation was well worth the $2 (in entertainment value) " See that field to the right...We harvested that last week. See the field to the left....We are going to do that one next week. Any more question? You are more than welcome to walk around if you would like"
We rented/ bartered a motorcycle for the week and drove the whole island many times. Even in the areas where we heard a shout from the roadside of " What are you WHITIES doing around here? "(angry teenager)
Just a tip.... Buy a cheap CD burner for a computer ($32.00 at Kmart)and a 50 pack of CD's and throw it in your luggage. They trade very well. That is how we got the Cycle for the week ...Plus it got us a dinner. If stating that you are going to a residential home on the immigration papers you may get your bags searched. If you have a hotel listed you rushed right along. There is always the back-up of... " I take a lot of pictures and did not know if y'all had these things down here so I brought my own." Another great trade is a tv top DVD player. Thoses ones that are about 2 inches thick and 12 inches long pack well.
When riding a motorcycle remember.... #1 They have open sewers in Antigua and that small stream running across the road is not from a mountain spring. #2 If a cow runs or mossies across the road in front of you it probably has a 20 foot chain dragging behind it. It could kill you. (locals attach the chain to the cattle but let them roam free and if confronted with the loose bovine they claim that it must has broke free.)

OK....Way too much information.. My mouth runith over.

I dove Antiqua in October of 04 with ULTRAMARINE. They operate out of the St. James Club on the South side of the Island, the diving is much better there than on the north side. Good operation with small dive groups of 4-5 people. We stayed at Club Colonna on the opposite side of the island, but they have an out-station there and shuttle you to the dive opp and back. Club Colonna is part of SunSail and has a large fleet of small sailboats and windsurfers for you to use that are included in the price of the room; the diving is extra. 95% of the customers were English there primarily for small boat sailing. The place is geared to take care of children. (we were there during school vacation for Brits so there were hoards of rugrats but they were very well behaved)

Thanks everyone for your help. We decided to skip Antigua for diving and go back to Grand Turk and also Provo/ Grace Bay for a 2 part vacation. We feel we will find the beaches and the diving of great quality. Went to Grand Turk last year and loved it... so going back for a few nights there and then finishing trip up in Provo. :)
Again, thanks so much for your info... it really helped out in making final decisions on location and dive op to use. :)
Jenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom