Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmoore19

Denizen of the PUB
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In the last 24 hours 2 times when I was looking at a thread I got a message from my antivirus saying a trojan virus was detected and advised me not to continue viewing the site. Is there something going on here? It obviously has not caused me to stop using the site but it is a concern.

There are no viruses on ScubaBoard. Either your virus scan itself is a virus, or you have some other malware on your computer. What virus scan software are you using?

It could also be a false positive. Check for an update for your AV Software.

There are no viruses on ScubaBoard. Either your virus scan itself is a virus, or you have some other malware on your computer. What virus scan software are you using?

I am running McAfee last updated today 4/27.

If you want to e-mail me a screen shot, I'd be curious to see what your warning, and other details are. howarde at scubaboard dot com

If you want to e-mail me a screen shot, I'd be curious to see what your warning, and other details are. howarde at scubaboard dot com

If it happens again I will send you a screen shot. It hasn't happened today.

It appears like a web page from McAfee and kicks me out of scubaboard. Not that I hope it happens again but it does I will get a screenshot and send it. Thanks for you help. You folks here are always so helpful and quick to act. Thanks again.

I have had the same thing pop up on me. First one was on Sat night, 2nd on Sun night and 3rd on Monday night. All say it is a trojan and my AV software stops it. I have Kaspersky and all updates are current within 10 hours of the pop up. I will see if I get it again and pass on what I get.

I got a warning that I believe was from Internet Explorer 8.
I think it was a protection that is built into the new IE.
The warning indicated that Microsoft had determined this site to be unsafe. The screen went red, and I was blocked out of accessing the site. I've learned that this is called "SmartScreen Filter". See here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...rmation-for-administrators-and-website-owners

When I closed out IE, I had notices from my Antivirus Software that said it had detected viruses (Symantec Endpoint Protection).

And yes, I know the difference between the fake Anti-virus scamware that pop up and the real thing.

I doubt that it is your site that is causing the problem, but I think one of the ads that you serve up along with your site might have been the problem.
I've been reading about legit sites that have these viruses on them that come from ad servers, and I think that might be the problem.
Here's a post that talks about the problem:
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/wi...-advertisements-with-internet-explorer-8.aspx
This was last week, this week I haven't had any problems.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom