What's the chance of being charged a camera tax at Los Cabos Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’d say it does not matter if the camera is in the housing or not. As far as them only looking for professional equipment, I’m not so sure about that. On our last trip, two divers from our group were profiled and pulled aside for “inspection.” One was charged a $75 tax on a 10+ old SeaLife DC2000 camera and the other was charged $150 tax on two video lights. They took both of their passports and would not allow them to leave until the tax was paid. Video lights are not even considered taxable, and even though the diver had a copy of the law, they didn’t care.

We just got back. No issues at all for us. I was prepared, following the Nautilus guidelines. Had documents of current values, etc. When we were clearing customers we were asked;
"Purpose of visit?"
"Diving"
"Camera? Housing?"
"Yes."
"Enjoy your trip."
That was it. I'm sure it can happen but we had Zero issues and we were completely honest, hiding nothing.
I would guess that if it escalates and you are obviously hiding things its going to raise red flags.

As my trip approaches, I still have questions about this issue. For underwater, I shoot an RX100VA, in a Recsea housing. Current pricing on these together is about $2000. I also shoot a GoPro 10, in a dive housing, so maybe worth $300. I guess my risk is that they will tax me on the RX100 and housing, which would be a nasty $340. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. I assume they won't tax me on my strobes or video lights--is that right?

Relatedly, I am considering bringing my above-ground camera, a Canon R5, with a couple of lenses (24-105, 70-200, maybe 15-35). But having read about the wedding photographers, I am concerned I'll get hassled for that gear as well.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

As my trip approaches, I still have questions about this issue. For underwater, I shoot an RX100VA, in a Recsea housing. Current pricing on these together is about $2000. I also shoot a GoPro 10, in a dive housing, so maybe worth $300. I guess my risk is that they will tax me on the RX100 and housing, which would be a nasty $340. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. I assume they won't tax me on my strobes or video lights--is that right?

Relatedly, I am considering bringing my above-ground camera, a Canon R5, with a couple of lenses (24-105, 70-200, maybe 15-35). But having read about the wedding photographers, I am concerned I'll get hassled for that gear as well.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
There is no easy answer to your question, at least from my experience. On our last trip (Sept 2023) one of our group was charged $150.00 tax for two Backscatter video lights. As far as the camera and housing, the tax is supposed to only apply to camera housings, not the camera itself. However, they take you into a separate room, take your passport, and tell you what you have to pay. If you're headed to a liveaboard or a resort, most people find it easier to just pay and be done with it. I recommend not looking like a diver, or like you have camera equipment. Use nondescript luggage, rather then branded dive bags, avoid Pelican and Pelican style cases and be nice to whoever the Customs/Immigration person is.

They really don't care about GoPros, so don't worry about that. They do however have a two camera limit, and will use the GoPro against that limit. I would leave the R5 at home, better safe than sorry.

I've been through Cabo twice and I was stopped the the first time and two other in my group the second time. I had a TG-6 in an Olympus housing and they agent told me that if it was under $500 they did not care but that was just one man's opinion.

Thanks, good advice I think re the R5. Is there much to shoot anyway on land/on the boat liveaboard Socorro?

Thanks, good advice I think re the R5. Is there much to shoot anyway on land/on the boat liveaboard Socorro?
That one I can't help you with, I've only done the Sea of Cortez although Socorro ia on my list.

Boat and land pics can be covered with a decent phone. You will probably not get very close to land form the Mothership and shooting a big telephoto from a moving platform would be challenging.
Have a great trip. It is an amazing place.

Thanks. As I thought. The RX100VA takes great photos. Just limited by lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom