Trip Report - Anilao Blackwater at Crystal Blue Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjmochi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Coming off my Jan blackwater trip in the Similans, I was hooked and wanted to do it again, this time with the right camera gear. Alex Tyrell who was the photo pro on the Thailand trip was pulling together another trip in Anilao in April, and I decided to join last minute. It was hosted at Crystal Blue Resort (CBR) where Mike Bartick, another photo pro and the guy who wrote the book 'The World of Blackwater' was based. This was my 3rd trip to Anilao (1st in 2019 w Buceo, 2nd in 2022 w Blue Ribbon) and by far the best.

Pictures here: Anilao Blackwater (Apr 2024)
Upgraded my A7C to A7R5 and it was such a night and day improvement. Most blackwater shots were with the Canon 60mm macro on metabones IV but I also used the Sony 90mm - I actually liked the 90mm better but was afraid to use it in case a blanket shows up.

It was a blackwater trip and the typical day was a talk at 9.30am, morning dive at 11am, and 2 blackwater dives (going out at 7pm / returning ~midnight). I opted to maximise my time and do 2 morning dives, one at 8am and the 2nd at 11am. Mike gave daily talks on what we expect to see on the blackwater dives, with details of what to look out of, how to find critters, typical behaviour and best ways to shoot them, etc. It was a run-through of his book (which he also gave each of us a copy of for free) and quite interesting, mostly natural history based rather than photography based (although there was a daily image review as well). The official package was 7 days of diving - I did 13 day dives and 14 blackwater dives. Some guests opted to stay longer and did a few more. It was a group of 7 overall - all with big cameras, and mostly older (50-60s?).

CBR was very nice, probably the nicest out of the 3 resorts I've been to in Anilao and the best laid out especially for a photographer. 3 huge camera only rinse tanks, 3 drying station with air guns, indoor AC'ed camera room with individual charging strips (w universal plugs) located just above the dive deck and just below the restaurant. Rooms are a bit further up from the restaurant so no escaping the stairs but it is certainly a lot less than at Buceo. Food was really good, buffet style and a lot of choices (even for vegetarians), much better than at Buceo and Blue Ribbon. Staff was very helpful, dive crew did everything for you, and massages are cheap (I paid ~$65 for 4.5 hours) and pretty good. Wifi is super fast and available through the entire resort, good enough for remote work and video calls.

CBR is more expensive - my package of 7 nights/27 dives on nitrox w private guide/return private transfers ran close to $4k, and Buceo quoted me <$3k for the same dates/package. I almost went back w Buceo since I remembered their guides were good but they could not give me the same guide for my entire stay and only do 1 blackwater dive/day (and need minimum 2 people to go), so I went w CBR. I would say the clientele of CBR definitely skews older and more experienced, a lot more photographers, and it felt like more Americans. Buceo was a mix, and Blue Ribbon (cheapest) was mostly beginners/fun divers.

I had Jerome as my private guide and he was really really good. Found me almost everything I'd asked for on the day dives. Everyday he asks what do I want to photograph and we go to the site with best chance to see that subject, and 90% of the time he will find it. I had the boat to myself for most of my 8am dives, and the times I had wanted to see something specific / different than the other guests they swapped folks on the boats around so we can both go to the best site for each of our subjects - that was really above and beyond. In my 13 day dives I'd requested for and received flamboyant cuttlefish, hairy frogfish, giant frogfish, painted frogfish, hairy squat lobster, harlequin shrimp, tiger shrimp, yellow and pink pygmy seahorses, thorny seahorse, ornate ghost pipefish, bearded goby, pink eyed goby, rhinopia, coconut octopus, mimic octopus (we found but it went under before I got a shot). Countless nudis of all sizes and colours including my favourite Shawn the sheep. I was running out of things to request for by the end (asked for blue ring since I saw last time in PG but was told they haven't seen it here). Private guide is really expensive ($40/dive) but worth it if you want to really take your time and/or have someone hold your snoot for you. I was able to take 10-20min w some of the critters and really play with lighting and snooting.

Mike was the first to do blackwater dives in Anilao and I think CBR is still the only resort that does 2x blackwater dives every night. Each boat (usually only 2-3 guests + their guides) has their own downline so it was much less crowded than the trip I'd done in Thailand. It was a very smooth well-run operation. We did most of the blackwater dives in Janao Bay which was a pretty long 30min+ boat ride away, that would be the only downside vs say Anilao photo academy which is right in the bay (one of the other guests stayed there for a week before CBR and said it was good also). I definitely saw a lot more this trip than the first time I've tried blackwater in Thailand, not sure if it's a better location, the fact that I had a private guide finding stuff for me this time, or because I'm more familiar and did not waste time photographing jellies (probably all 3). In my 7 nights of double blackwater we've found wonderpus twice, paper nautilus both male and female countless times, 3 kinds of squids including a really cute golden one (but no diamond squid), juvenile African pompano, soapfish, flounder, lionfish, mantis shrimp, snake blenny, some sort of snail?. The other boat saw blanket octopus on 2 nights and long-arm octopus once, but I sadly missed out. Blackwater diving can be pretty hit or miss, on one night we had absolutely nothing, and it can be pretty tiring, as by the time you're back to the resort it's usually 11.30pm so I was usually in bed ~1am. Most days everyone went down for an afternoon nap after lunch.

Water temperature was mostly 27 degrees, with some thermoclines down to 26 degree. I opted for my drysuit w xerotherm undergarments and was nice and comfy, but it is a pain on the blackwater dives where you need to change depth quickly. Manageable, but annoying. Mild current on most dives except for one where we had to abort the dive at 40min due to a ripping down current. Most dives ended at 60min but you could stay longer - I came up w ~70-80bar most dives but was good to end at 60min since I was usually hungry or needed to pee at that point, and we had almost always already found what we were looking for. The blackwater dives you can't really stay longer since it's already close to midnight by the time we get back, unless you do only 1.

Overall a great trip, and I can already see myself going back next year. Anilao is now only a 2 hour drive away from Manila airport (vs 3 before). I will be in Lembeh in May and will compare again but as of now the two are equally tied for my top macro dive spot.

Do you dive with NADs in Lembeh? Last time I was there, black water dives had a couple of real fans.

Coming off my Jan blackwater trip in the Similans, I was hooked and wanted to do it again, this time with the right camera gear. Alex Tyrell who was the photo pro on the Thailand trip was pulling together another trip in Anilao in April, and I decided to join last minute. It was hosted at Crystal Blue Resort (CBR) where Mike Bartick, another photo pro and the guy who wrote the book 'The World of Blackwater' was based. This was my 3rd trip to Anilao (1st in 2019 w Buceo, 2nd in 2022 w Blue Ribbon) and by far the best.

Overall a great trip, and I can already see myself going back next year. Anilao is now only a 2 hour drive away from Manila airport (vs 3 before). I will be in Lembeh in May and will compare again but as of now the two are equally tied for my top macro dive spot.
@jjmochi

Glad you liked Crystal Blue. My son and I were there in Jan (his first time, my 5th time). Having tried a number of resorts in the area, Crystal Blue is easily my favorite.

Our main reason for going was the wide variety of nudis and the blackwater diving. We did a couple of nights of 2 bw dives, and a couple of nights of single dives. Mike runs a really good dive op for bw (and as you mentioned, he's very knowledgeable).

The Crystal Blue camera room is the the standard by which I now measure all other resort camera rooms. A few meet this standard (or come close) and a bunch of others fall short.

You mentioned they couldn't find you a blue ring - we found two the week we were there. There is a site right in front of one of the villages that has a bit of trash on the substrate - besides a bunch of nudis, this is where we found the blue rings. We also had a few bw dives with 3-4 separate larval wonderpus (along with the frequent paper nautilus).

Good that you didn't miss the day dives - Anilao is still the only place I've seen a Rhinopias.

I'm also headed back to Lembeh in May. Dumaguete and Alor are also very good for macro. Anilao is easily the most convenient (and has the most varieties of nudis), Dumaguete has more frogfish (and last time we had more ghost pipefish than we could count), Lembeh has more other types of critters, and Alor is a bit better for finding Rhinopias.

Do you dive with NADs in Lembeh? Last time I was there, black water dives had a couple of real fans.
Not yet- but that's who I'm going with in May. Hopefully some new/different critters vs Anilao.

You mentioned they couldn't find you a blue ring - we found two the week we were there. There is a site right in front of one of the villages that has a bit of trash on the substrate - besides a bunch of nudis, this is where we found the blue rings. We also had a few bw dives with 3-4 separate larval wonderpus (along with the frequent paper nautilus).
How lucky! We didn't really go looking for them - I asked and they said they haven't seen them in a while so we pivoted to hunting for something else. I had some good photos of blue ring from my last trip to Raja Ampat on the Papua Explorers house reef so I didn't press it.

Yes it's wild how many paper nautilus there was - I had only seen a male on my last trip and my goal this time was to see a female. By the end of the trip I had seen so many I even stopped taking photos of them unless it was on something interesting.

I'm also headed back to Lembeh in May. Dumaguete and Alor are also very good for macro. Anilao is easily the most convenient (and has the most varieties of nudis), Dumaguete has more frogfish (and last time we had more ghost pipefish than we could count), Lembeh has more other types of critters, and Alor is a bit better for finding Rhinopias.
Yes Alor is on my list - headed there next year. Dumaguete I've dived for 2 days as part of a Visayas trip on the Philippine Siren, I remember it was quite good but it's more of a hassle to get to from Singapore (no direct flight) so I've always opted for Anilao/Lembeh/Tulemban all of which are a 2.5-4h direct flight+ 2h drive away...

@jjmochi

Very aware that Dumagete doesn't have a direct flight from SIngapore. Actually, most of the best diving in the region is at least two flights away from Singapore (lived there for many years, was there 2 months ago, will be there again in a month).

Tulamben is okay, Dumaguete is better. With the right connection, you can get to Dumagete in about 8.5 hours - however I usually overnight in Manila.

Rule of thumb (for most places): if it has a direct flight from a major hub, it will be overdived... Tulamben has survived because of that 2h+ drive after landing (it used to be longer, the diving also used to be better). I would pick Wakatobi over Tulamben any time - same flight to Bali, and then one more flight. Look at the number of dive resorts in Anilao - it's already showing the strain (good thing it's not the most scenic of destinations).

Not yet- but that's who I'm going with in May. Hopefully some new/different critters vs Anilao.

How lucky! We didn't really go looking for them - I asked and they said they haven't seen them in a while so we pivoted to hunting for something else. I had some good photos of blue ring from my last trip to Raja Ampat on the Papua Explorers house reef so I didn't press it.

Yes it's wild how many paper nautilus there was - I had only seen a male on my last trip and my goal this time was to see a female. By the end of the trip I had seen so many I even stopped taking photos of them unless it was on something interesting.

Yes Alor is on my list - headed there next year. Dumaguete I've dived for 2 days as part of a Visayas trip on the Philippine Siren, I remember it was quite good but it's more of a hassle to get to from Singapore (no direct flight) so I've always opted for Anilao/Lembeh/Tulemban all of which are a 2.5-4h direct flight+ 2h drive away...
The number of male paper nautilus seems to be increasing because people know what to look for now. The females (although larger), are a bit harder to get pictures of (in part, because they are always seem to be trying to scoot away). You are correct - they are much more present that we originally thought...

it was quite good but it's more of a hassle to get to from Singapore (no direct flight) so I've always opted for Anilao/Lembeh/Tulemban all of which are a 2.5-4h direct flight+ 2h drive away...

@jjmochi

Very aware that Dumagete doesn't have a direct flight from SIngapore. Actually, most of the best diving in the region is at least two flights away from Singapore (lived there for many years, was there 2 months ago, will be there again in a month).
How about SIN-MDC? Then you can do Lembeh-Bunaken-Bangka as well as liveaboards to Halmahera or Central Sulawesi with just one direct flight from SIN.
There's also the Maldives and Phuket (both land-based and LOBs covering the whole range of the Andaman Sea from the Similan area all the way down to Lipe).

I would pick Wakatobi over Tulamben any time - same flight to Bali, and then one more flight.
I thought Wakatobi is A LOT more than one flight from Bali? Are you talking about the flight from Bali to Tomia (TQQ)? I only see it on Rome2Rio but not anywhere else online. Without that flight, Wakatobi is not easy to get to.

How about SIN-MDC? Then you can do Lembeh-Bunaken-Bangka as well as liveaboards to Halmahera or Central Sulawesi with just one direct flight from SIN.
There's also the Maldives and Phuket (both land-based and LOBs covering the whole range of the Andaman Sea from the Similan area all the way down to Lipe).

I thought Wakatobi is A LOT more than one flight from Bali? Are you talking about the flight from Bali to Tomia (TQQ)? I only see it on Rome2Rio but not anywhere else online. Without that flight, Wakatobi is not easy to get to.
@dumpsterpurrs

Wakatobi runs their own charter flights multiple times a week from Bali. You can bascally carry as much luggage as you want (no overage frees).

Been to Wakatobi a number of times, fly to Bali, then take their charter flight from Bali - land, and then short boat ride and you are the resort.

The schedule is on the Wakatobi site. This is how 95%+ of the divers going to Wakatobi get there.

@dumpsterpurrs

Wakatobi runs their own charter flights multiple times a week from Bali. You can bascally carry as much luggage as you want (no overage frees).

Been to Wakatobi a number of times, fly to Bali, then take their charter flight from Bali - land, and then short boat ride and you are the resort.

The schedule is on the Wakatobi site. This is how 95%+ of the divers going to Wakatobi get there.
That;s only for the luxurious Wakatobi Resort, no? And the flight is super pricy. For budget places around Wakatobi, I haven't been able to find any low-pain way to reach. They all seem to require at least two additional flights from Bali or Jakarta and even longgggg ferry rides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom