Question Thailand Liveaboard suggestions (March/2025)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wanted to give you a little update as we just returned from our trip on The Junk. It was incredible. So, the good things first:
The crew is amazing. You set up your gear at the beginning of the trip and after that the crew really helps with everything. As soon as you get out of the water from a dive there is a hot/cold drink waiting. They take your wetsuit and rinse and hang it. They refill tanks between dives. If you are diving nitrox then you just analyze before each dive and there is a clip-board on deck for you to log.
The food is fantastic and plentiful. Morning snack, breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner. So much food. The Thai food is exceptional. They did a few western dishes which I could have done without but everything was really good.
We had a double cabin and it was perfect. The two quad cabins did look a bit tight. Especially when people are trying to shower at the end of the day. There are two additional heads with shower on the main level as well. We appreciated the AC at night so always slept in the cabin.
Koh Tachai was absolutely my favorite site and I wish we had done a few dives there.
The only negative parts of the trip had nothing to do with the boat. The thermoclines were crazy. We had only 3-4 dives without thermoclines and they definitely impact visibility and the current made things more challenging.
I did appreciate that there were a max of 4 divers per divemaster. The small groups were really nice and you stay with the same group for the whole week. We had 15 people on our trip and that was a really nice number.
Richelieu is amazing. The number of fish is incredible, the soft corals are beautiful. But there are soooooo many people. Our fist day there were 9 boats. We did 2 dives at Richelieu on day 4 and 2 dives on day 5. I would have gladly taken another 1-2 dives at Tochai.
At any rate, hopefully you will have an amazing trip. I know the hardest part is just waiting for it. Now that we are back we are already trying to plan our next liveaboard but we feel like The Junk sets a pretty high bar.
Amazing!! thank you for the report!!!

I want to do a liveaboard to the Similans this Nov/Dec. How far in advance do you guys usually book before space can run out?

For December, the height of the high season, I'd say have something booked by September if you want a particular ship or dates. If you're more flexible and going in November, a couple months before (September again) is fine.

When I do my research I’m very specific with the date and boat I want to go, So I book with a year in advance or more… This is just me… for example on this thread I booked on December 27 a trip with The Junk for Mar/25….

You need to know which LoB you are interested first.
Are you using agent or directly with the operator?
I've looked at different itineraries on liveaboard.com but haven't looked into specific boats. The reason I asked is because I hope to wait for the airlines to release their winter schedule and deals (if any) to decide what is best for me.

What's the main difference between booking with an agent and booking with the operator? Thanks.

When I do my research I’m very specific with the date and boat I want to go, So I book with a year in advance or more… This is just me… for example on this thread I booked on December 27 a trip with The Junk for Mar/25….
I wish I could do that, but I can't. Things might come up and I would hate to change my plan or cancel and lose my deposit. :crying:

I usually make travel reservations a few months in advance. Most people I know don't start thinking about where to take their next vacation until a month or 2 weeks before, which amazes me. Anyways. :cheers:

I've looked at different itineraries on liveaboard.com but haven't looked into specific boats. The reason I asked is because I hope to wait for the airlines to release their winter schedule and deals (if any) to decide what is best for me.

What's the main difference between booking with an agent and booking with the operator? Thanks.
"liveaboard.com"!!!!!! You cannot be serious!

ZERO assistance from that operator.

Some boats totally relied on agent while others do not.
Pick the boat FIRST and then decide to take the next step.
There are plenty of trip reports on line.
I wish I could do that, but I can't. Things might come up and I would hate to change my plan or cancel and lose my deposit. :crying:
Reputable boats are in big demand.
Of course there will be last minute cancellation but......would you like to take that chance?
Never came across any LoB that did not require deposit.

Read the small print of your travel insurance.

I've been booking some of my trips through PADI Travel, at the same price as Liveaboard.com or directly with the operators. In some cases, I've gotten a better deal. I had to call for assistance once, and they were pretty good in providing support.

I've been booking some of my trips through PADI Travel, at the same price as Liveaboard.com or directly with the operators. In some cases, I've gotten a better deal. I had to call for assistance once, and they were pretty good in providing support.
You can also book most Thailand LOBs through a local dive shop in Phuket. Contact them through their social media and work with them to sort it out; they can also answer questions about particular boats or itineraries. They also have info on any special deals (but unlikely to be any in Nov/Dec). Rumblefish Adventure in Kata Beach and Scuba Nick's in Rawai are two I can recommend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom