Tech Diving for Seniors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How physically demanding is tech training?
I'd also keep in mind how mentally demanding tech diving can be, and the need for dexterity and precision motor skills. I'm somewhat younger than you, but already I find myself reacting more slowly, performing tasks less smoothly, and having to concentrate harder than I used to. I'm thinking these things will limit my diving before my physical stamina or muscle power limit it. I'm not saying it's entirely a young person's game--I see a good number of older tech divers out there--but we're not getting any sharper.

Why doesn’t sidemount work for great lakes wreck diving? If thats true why do you dive it exclusively for OC?
I cave dive so OC SM is for that and fun shallow stuff. Not enough hours yet for CCR cave diving. SM on boats is a massive PITA. Once was enough.

I SM on boats and in wrecks, although not at the tec level yet.
Complete non-issue even on small Asian boats. You just need to know what you're doing. I find it easier to climb ladders than BM so long as the cylinders get shifted rearward.

It takes more than once to learn how it's done.

Its not so much age as it is physical condition. There is an instructor in Texas who was still instructing in his 80s.

How physically demanding it is depends on how you do it and who is there to help you.

Boat technical diving can be very demanding particularly if the crew expects you to walk from your seat to the stern of the boat with all your deco tanks. There is a guy who died a couple of years ago from falling on top of one of his slung bottles as he walked on the boat. He ruptured his spleen.

Sometimes, the crew will actually pull your gear out of the water. I was on a liveaboard that had a ladder that would invert under the boat. It was impossible for me to climb out of the water with doubles hanging upside down. The boat crew would lift the doubles out of the water for me. Of course, they received a hefty tip at the end of the trip.

Shore diving can be much easier. In Bonaire for example, you could actually set your equipment up on the dock and standup and then do a back flop in the water. We typically put on our deco bottles once in the water. Other times when we go off of the beach, we preposition our deco bottles in the water and then come back for our backgas or sidemount bottles.

TDI also allows independent backmount doubles. So, you don't have to walk anywhere with a set of doubles. You have them set up like sidemount tanks and put them in the bands once you are near where you are going in the water.

My wife broke her ankle a couple of years ago. She is thinking about resuming technical diving this summer on our Bonaire trip. So we will have to help her get her gear in the water, since I think it is unsafe for her to walk with doubles.

Definitely worth a trip to Key Largo to get your training in some warmer water. I'm sure others will chime in with their own recommendations, but Dan Dawson at Horizon Divers is tops!

+1 for Dan. I did my TDI Trimix with Dan. Tough but fair. He'll tell you point blank where you have things squared away, what you have to work on, and he won't pass you until he feels you are safe to dive at the level being certified. Plus he's just a great guy!

So on balance it sounds like I shouldn’t pursue a standard tech course. Maybe get AN-DP, MOD1 and MOD2 and go the rebreather route? Not looking to go super deep or long. Would love to lose the bubbles and have extended bottom time without a bunch of bottles hanging off me.

So on balance it sounds like I shouldn’t pursue a standard tech course. Maybe get AN-DP, MOD1 and MOD2 and go the rebreather route? Not looking to go super deep or long. Would love to lose the bubbles and have extended bottom time without a bunch of bottles hanging off me.
Investigate instructors to see if AN/DP is required. Some don’t require it. Mine didn’t. I know a number of divers who went from single tank to CCR and are doing fine. Save the AN/DP fee for more diving or towards your CCR. They ain’t cheap.

Not sure what you consider super deep or long. If you are trying not to have bottles hanging off you, please go look at some rebreather wreck diver pictures. You are going to have bail outs. dil, O2, and any deco gasses you may need hanging off you. Dont think a rebreather is much lighter than a steel 100. Most aren't.

You're 69, I'm almost 71 and could stand to loose 20 pounds. If you are not in a gym, join one. I try to walk 2 miles a day, and do some light weights. Walk around your yard with your tank on. I do not look at this as getting "in shape". It is what I do to try to put off getting much worse as I age. Father time is the great equalizer.

Do you have to be tech certified to get rebreather certified?
You have to be Advanced Nitrox certified for entry level CCR training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom