ScubaBoard Invasion Central 2024 Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

~7pm sunset time. This is my first time to Bonaire, I'm hoping to swim with some tarpon

Does anyone have a preference on which side to dive from at night for 18 palms?
Bring a bright flashlight and you will have tarpons swimming at arms length. They hunt small fishes that are attracted to your light. During our first night dive at Capt Don's habitat there where five (5) tarpons around us chasing little fishes. My son had a blast pointing the light towards the surface and the tarpons will jump/breach out of water while trying to catch them. People on shore where enjoying the show.

On one Bonaire night dive, shortly before covid, my brother and I spent a good part of our dive watching a gang of hunters working the Reed.
One giant Green Morrey was freeswimming, on the hunt, and moving south along the reef, with an entourage of 5 large Tarpon as his wingmen.
The Morrey and the Tarpon made a very effective "gang", with the eel diving deep into the cracks and crevices of the reef hunting, where many fish escaped the eel only to be scarfed up by the big fish.
It was quite a sight to see those 6 working together.

On a different note, I am looking forward to seeing the night sky to the south. Have never seen the Southern Cross, and am of the understanding it will be visible while in Bonaire

yeah.. IF I knew what I was looking at! LOL

The Southern Cross is a pretty basic, 4 star pattern, with 4 fairly bright stars set in nearly a perfect square.
I have never paid attention while on Bonaire, but south of the Equator it is usually pretty distinct.

This time lapse video shows the Southern Cross rising above Red Slave, on Bonaire, Caribbean Netherlands. The southern cross appears about 9 seconds into the video over farthest two huts in the line on the left side of the frame. The SC rises above the horizon sort of on its left side and gradually stands up as it rises in the sky and begins to arc around the southern celestial pole

I was just conversing about this trip with my brother, and my voice to text app changed "shore diving" to "short of having".
I decided that AI got it right....shore diving is a bit like being short of having a boat for diving....
:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom