Review of the Xtar DL1 - Underwater Laser Pointer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveDiversions

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently, Xtar posted on ScubaBoard about their new “XTAR Pointer DL1 Dive Light” and through some comments on their post they offer me a unit to evaluate and review, this is that review after evaluating it for a couple of weeks.

I've combined the images to get around the 4 image restriction.

Supplied product.

The unit shipped in its retail packaging that included, the laser pointer, a leash, two replacement O-rings, instructions and a 3600mAH battery, the battery is optional when ordering. From past experiences with Xtar, their batteries are of good quality and do not fake the battery capacities.

Refer Image 1 below

Xtar review-Combined 1.jpg

The battery was shipped inside the laser pointer and with a small piece of plastic inserted between the terminals to prevent turning on and discharge during transportation.

The plastic may not be noticed initially as it sits perfectly over the circuit board and easily appears as part of the unit, this will need to be removed for operation. (This is not mentioned in the instructions)

Refer Image 2 above.

Note: No battery charger is supplied with the unit, Xtar sell them separately or use an existing charger you already have.

The unit also has a protective plastic insert over the front lens to protect it from damage, this will also need removing prior to use, this can be a little tricky as you need to hook it out with something like a paper clip. Just don’t scratch the lens in the process!

Refer Image 3 above.

Construction

The unit is well made from machined aluminium and is hard anodised to provide durability for underwater use; the unit screws apart in the middle to access the battery. There are also two O-rings as part of the seal to provide a reliable watertight seal.

Refer Image 4 above.

The unit is 126mm or 4.96 inches in length and 26mm or 1 inch in diameter. With bare hands or thin gloves, it is easy to hold and operate, however it’s small diameter could be a bit more challenging with thicker gloves.

Refer Image 5 above.

The operation of the laser pointer is by way of a magnetically operated push button and is a push on / push off style of operation, locking on between presses.

Personally however, I’m not a fan of the locking button, my preference would be, that the button press is momentary, push and hold on to operate, release to turn off, for safety, battery longevity and more importantly, so I don’t annoy my dive buddies by flashing them in the eyes by accident, or flashing their cameras.

The magnetic push button is a nice feature and is found on other Xtar products, and from personal experience with some other Xtar torch products I own (one a 11-year-old torch!), has been very dependable over the years.

Use

The spot size of the laser is slightly larger than other laser pointers, that I think is a good thing for underwater use to clearly see it especially during daytime dives as the larger spot size can aid in seeing it.

Refer Image 6 above.

I took it out on a night dive and the beam and spot is highly visible during the dive, that I and my dive buddy could clearly see.

Refer Image 7 below.

Xtar review-Combined 2.jpg

I took it out again on a daytime dive, albeit slightly overcast, and again both the beam and spot are clearly visible during use.

Images showing at far and close-range visibility.

Refer Image 8 and 9 above.

Interestingly, some fish will chase the spot just like a cat does (please be careful if this happens as a laser to a fishes eye could bling it as they have no eyelids like we do to protect the eye)

There was one point during the dive where the sun came out from behind the clouds and brightened up the water and the beam become less visible, but the spot was still visible.

Refer Image 10 above.

Videos can be seen here of it in use:

Concerns

One concern I have with the DL1 laser pointer is that a lot of countries have bans on laser pointers exceeding certain emitted powers levels, for example here in Australia it is 1mw, in the US and UK it’s 5mW.

The concern here is that there that there is no labelling on the device or packaging for the laser details, labelling is a requirement of the many legislations to provide the details of the laser type and output power, this also helps authorities identify the legality of the device, particularly when it comes to laser pointers.

Looking at the datasheet for the DL1, it shows the laser as a Osram PLT5 laser diode:
Specs.jpg

Googling Osram PLT5 returns the following that from first looks shows the laser as being 110mW, that would clearly be illegal to bring into a country and would likely be confiscated, with a possible fine.
Google.jpg

So, as there is no labelling, and if someone was to take the device on holiday overseas, a border agent could look up the device and google the laser type as specified on the package and assume that it was 110mW, that would be an illegal device and confiscated, with a potential fine.

I measured the power output of the laser and it come in somewhere under 2mW (my laser power meter doesn’t go that low), so given this output it is technically safe, however this means nothing to law enforcement.

I did additional research, to see if I could fine the laser type that is potentially being used, given the measured output and could not find any Osram PLT5 laser diodes that output less than 10mW of power! so, I’m not sure what Xtar are doing to make the laser output such a low power if they are using the Osram PLT5 laser diodes.

Summary

In summary, the LD1 laser point is a nice well-made unit and is well suited for use underwater to point things out at a distance, it’s well made and should last a long time if cared for properly through normal equipment after diving care, like you do for your normal dive gear.

The price for the unit is very reasonable for the quality of build that will last a long time, so if you are looking for a laser pointer, the DL1 is a particularly good option.

As with any laser pointer. caution should always be taken when used above and underwater to not flash other divers and animals in the eyes.

Suggestions

From evaluating the DL1, there are a couple of options I think could make improvements:
  • Appropriate laser labelling, this needs to be added as it will prevent issues when travelling with the device, along with mitigating the potential for confiscation or potential fines. This need to be etched onto the body for durability.
  • Push button option, as stated above, the preference of how the power button works would be different between divers, therefore a feature I’d like to see would be a switch internally that allows you to change the action of the button between momentary or latched modes, thus allowing the user to choose the mode they like.
  • I think a laser pointer integrated into a torch would make far more sense than having to carry and juggle second device, so having a torch that has white light, red light and a laser pointer would be a great option. (with an independent button for the laser).

Back
Top Bottom