Proper weighing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakid

Reaction score
I presently live in Beautiful Vancouver, British C
Okay folks,
I need some INTELLIGENT ADVICE from people with lots of diving experience and of course KNOWLEDGE.
Is there information (charts, books) available that specify the "almost correct" amount of weight to have for a certain body weight and dive condition? In short, knowing that I weigh 165 lbs, will be diving in a dry suit in salt water where could I find, without having to go and actually try the stuff on and going through the motions of adding/removing weight(s), a somewhat "correct" figure to use?

Thank you for your replies

Scubakid

Any kind of a chart or formula you could use will still be lacking one of the 2 critical measurements you need to dial in the amount of weight you'll need, and that is your displacement (volume).
You can do all the pencil pushing & formula juggling, but unless you have your actual weight AND your displacement (volume) all you're going to come up with is a guesstimate. Might as well just guess right away & save yourself some time.
Ya gotta get in the water & do the fine tuning.
Are you currently diving in saltwater with a wetsuit? Is switching to a drysuit the only gear configuration you're going to change?
Some folks need more lead with a drysuit. I happen to need less, so your mileage will vary.
You'll want to be neutral at 15' with around 500psi of air in your tank with an empty BC. Neutral means going up when you inhale & sinking when you exhale.
Some folks like to float on the surface at eye level under the same conditions. It pans out to being close to the same thing.
I'd suggest starting off with the same amount of weights & have about 8 lbs in 2 lb increments easily removed, with an additional 8 lbs handy in case you need more.
Seeing as how it's a way too common practice to be overweighted, you'll probably be able to lose some.
Just guessing tho.
Be brave & jump in the water, preferably next to a dock where it's only a few feet over your head, and then try it deeper.
:mean:

First of all, Welcome to the board. Keep asking the questions.

Bob gave you the intelligent and knowledegable answer.

DSAO

Scubakid,
First, welcome from NJ. You are at the right place for any scuba related question!
Regarding your "weighty" question (sorry, I couldn't resist BTW, the Humor around here is almost as widespread as the info.)
Seriously, Bob3, daylight and algulfdiver are right on the money with their replies. You'll also need to take into account all your equipment-type of tank,etc.- because it all impacts your volume and weight- which changes during the dive.
There are articles addressing how to estimate your weight needs (Rodales Scuba Diver has several- try their website ) . But even there, it says you get an estimate. Check those out, and use the results as a starting point- then .... what Bob said.
Good luck,
MikeD

Scubakid, gotta agree with the others.

No book or forumla can take into account ALL the variables; they can only give you a general idea about weighting. You really have to do a buoyancy check to determine exactly how much weight you need in various conditions.

For example: weighting for my trilam drysuit with a steel HP 80 in the freshwater of the FL Springs is different than diving with that same trilam in the Red Sea with an AL 80. I had a general idea of what I needed and worked up (or down) from there.

NOTHING takes the place of an actual buoyancy check.

The only consolation is that if you record the info in your logbook for various conditions, undergarments, etc., that you will probably be able to use that amount in similar future circumstances.

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

The only thing I can add to the above is that when you do figure out the correct weight the particular equipment you are using on a dive, write it down in your log along with all the equipment and water conditions. Include your perceptions on how well you felt you were weighted....a lot too heavy, a pound or 2 too light and so on. After a while you will have a good reference of exactly what weight is right for the conditions you are about to dive in. It also gives you a good guestimation guide if you add or change equipment.....Yea, my log is a boring read but my weight is almost always right on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom