PLB for NE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to beef up my emergency equipment for the upcoming season and am considering something like a PLB (I really only carry a strobe and whistle right now). I'm looking at the Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS primarily because of cost, but also my hunch is that broadcasting MOB on AIS in the heavily trafficked NE waters (primarily off of New Jersey) would be sufficient. But that's me making the assumption that most of the charter and private fishing boats actually have AIS.

Curious what more experienced divers and boaters think. I could get a Garmin InReach, but it's quite a bit more expensive and not sure if beaming a distress signal to a satellite vs. a boat within proximity makes sense.

The Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS is not a PLB, but is an excellent choice if you want to use AIS. You haven't got a lot of range with the direct VHF signal of an AIS; sure, the ads say 3 miles range, but that is fantasy under normal conditions. It works best if you are talking to your own boat.
Don't make your decision on cost; make it on the functionality that YOU need in YOUR use case.

I am a saltwater fisherman and whenever I am offshore I have on my person at all times a PLB in case I am separated from my boat. Currently I have an ACR ResQLink.

I would not stake my life on an AIS-based device. I would want something I can bounce off of a satellite in case of emergency and call in the cavalry to my exact position.

I am now planning to start diving off the NJ shore and plan to carry my PLB in a Dryfob XL canister attached to my kit.

I am surprised this issue isn't discussed more often in the diving community. PLB's have saved lives, period.

Why don't more divers carry them?

PLB + canister = +/-$500 and no subscription is required.

What is your life worth to you?

I am a saltwater fisherman and whenever I am offshore I have on my person at all times a PLB in case I am separated from my boat. Currently I have an ACR ResQLink.

I would not stake my life on an AIS-based device. I would want something I can bounce off of a satellite in case of emergency and call in the cavalry to my exact position.

I am now planning to start diving off the NJ shore and plan to carry my PLB in a Dryfob XL canister attached to my kit.

I am surprised this issue isn't discussed more often in the diving community. PLB's have saved lives, period.

Why don't more divers carry them?

PLB + canister = +/-$500 and no subscription is required.

What is your life worth to you?

Please report back after you purchase the PLB and the canister.

Please report back after you purchase the PLB and the canister.
What is it you want reported? I have a PLB and canister, too.

If you are ever lost at sea, and did not buy/carry the right kind of location device (a PLB in my opinion), the last thing you are going to be thinking about is how much money you saved.

Edit: I have an ACR ResQLink View PLB in a canister and an Inreach Mini (not a PLB) in a dive housing made for the model. I carry one or both depending on my assessment of where I am going to be and the risk. Some people might criticize the need for such redundancy, but my view is stated in my first comment above. Also, I've never seen an electronic device that can't fail when I need it the most.

I agree with Altamira 100%

I don't view an InReach to be a replacement for a PLB. Likewise, a PLB can't do everything an InReach can do.

Here is why I recommend a PLB over an InReach for if the SHTF ...

For those who don't know, an InReach is a satellite based two-way texting device that also has an SOS feature. You can communicate with the wives on shore, communicate with other boats when you don't want to broadcast information on an open VHF channel, get the weather, other features. It is subscription based (though I'm not sure if the SOS feature requires an active subscription). It uses rechargeable batteries that, depending on the device, last from as little as a few hours to as much as several days.

A PLB does one thing and one thing only, but it does it amazingly well. It transmits your GPS location via satellite communication to land-based emergency response agency, i.e., the US Coast Guard. It has a secondary feature which is to transmit a homing beacon via radio frequency so that once rescuers are in your general vicinity, they can close in on your position quickly. You only pull out the PLB when you are ready to call in the cavalry. It uses non-rechargeable batteries with a stated shelf-life which you need to send back to the manufacturer every few years for replacement. The batteries will transmit the emergency signal for a minimum of 24 hours.

In the real world, I see InReach devices in cup holders and on cell phone trays near the helm stations of boats. The owner has it out and about because of the several purposes that it fulfills, e.g., texting. If the boat would suddenly capsize or if the owner of the InReach should suddenly find themselves in the water, chances are, they are not going to have their device available to them.

In contrast, PLB is always stowed (in a pants pocket or on a belt) and always ready in an emergency.

My analogy for this is that the InReach is like a garden hose but a PLB is like that fire house behind the glass that says "break glass in case of emergency. You can use a garden hose for many applications and sure you can use it to put out a fire. But in an emergency, that fire hose behind the glass is always there ready to go.

If money were not object I would own both and have a subscription for my InReach. I would use the InReach to communicate and as a backup emergency locator device but I would still keep my PLB on my person at all times when operating offshore.

What is it you want reported? I have a PLB and canister, too.

What he is getting, brand/model, for both please?

I agree with Altamira 100%

I don't view an InReach to be a replacement for a PLB. Likewise, a PLB can't do everything an InReach can do.

Here is why I recommend a PLB over an InReach for if the SHTF ...

For those who don't know, an InReach is a satellite based two-way texting device that also has an SOS feature. You can communicate with the wives on shore, communicate with other boats when you don't want to broadcast information on an open VHF channel, get the weather, other features. It is subscription based (though I'm not sure if the SOS feature requires an active subscription). It uses rechargeable batteries that, depending on the device, last from as little as a few hours to as much as several days.

A PLB does one thing and one thing only, but it does it amazingly well. It transmits your GPS location via satellite communication to land-based emergency response agency, i.e., the US Coast Guard. It has a secondary feature which is to transmit a homing beacon via radio frequency so that once rescuers are in your general vicinity, they can close in on your position quickly. You only pull out the PLB when you are ready to call in the cavalry. It uses non-rechargeable batteries with a stated shelf-life which you need to send back to the manufacturer every few years for replacement. The batteries will transmit the emergency signal for a minimum of 24 hours.

In the real world, I see InReach devices in cup holders and on cell phone trays near the helm stations of boats. The owner has it out and about because of the several purposes that it fulfills, e.g., texting. If the boat would suddenly capsize or if the owner of the InReach should suddenly find themselves in the water, chances are, they are not going to have their device available to them.

In contrast, PLB is always stowed (in a pants pocket or on a belt) and always ready in an emergency.

My analogy for this is that the InReach is like a garden hose but a PLB is like that fire house behind the glass that says "break glass in case of emergency. You can use a garden hose for many applications and sure you can use it to put out a fire. But in an emergency, that fire hose behind the glass is always there ready to go.

If money were not object I would own both and have a subscription for my InReach. I would use the InReach to communicate and as a backup emergency locator device but I would still keep my PLB on my person at all times when operating offshore.

So you’re saying the plb is better because it’s in someone’s pants pocket versus on their console? I’m not really sure I get your point. Both devices transmit your gps location via a satellite network afaik..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom