Part time mates and liability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eastbayfe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
The diving industry is unique in that many consider it a great trade to sign on as part time mate for a chance to dive for free. I am curious as to how liability falls for any unfortunate accident during the charter. Since the mate is listed under the captains testing program I tend to believe the mate is considered an employee and liability first falls on the captain or charter company. I may be wrong on this issue since they could possibly be seen as a subcontractor or freelance captain. I have wondered about this for a couple of years and would like to hear what the others know or think on the matter.

Last edited:
IMHO
If Part-timer is on your drug program, which he would have to be if he is not on another, he would be judged and employee. If something goes wrong, everyone would be in court right down to the dock boy who fueled your boat before departing. So the real question is will your insurance cover Part-timer, I doubt it.

In my linited expirence Charter insurance covers the "insured" only for accidents that happen on the insured boat, NOT to accidents that happen in the water. My agent wanted to be sure that I had insurance through a scuba agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom