Oh Yes Oh yes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior diver

Reaction score
OK, my dad's found a cheap boat in the caribbean, about it think its 61 feet, not too sure, we do metric in England but the boat would be for family holidays as well as diving, I'm not too sure how many divers this would take on it, also another factor is that it has all its insides stripped out so we would be able to furnish it how we like, so, if anybody has any expirence doing anything like this please reply, the link is here, its this boat but seconf hand and all stripped out
http://www.sunseeker.com/range/flybridge/m56/layouts.htm so we need 2 cabins for crew, and if anybody could give a hand for what o make the other rooms into, obviously one or two for diving but we need help urgently

James Goddard:
I think you're about to learn what an oxymoron that phrase is....
i meant to buy, not run

junior diver:
i meant to buy, not run
Yes, running and finding a home for the boat will be a big expense, but I was actually talking about the restoration process. You said it was gutted, I can only guess what that means but restoring the cabins is the easy part, you'd be amazed what you can find in junkyards to help restoration projects with light materials. The big question is how are the motors and electronics?

James

James Goddard:
how are the motors and electronics?

James

Engines fine, but we need a new generator, which i think for a boat that big is going to be expensive, however, it's got a working watermaker!

I have done projects like that before(restore old boats). I have 35+ years owning and operating boats from 14 feet to 50 feet. I can tell you that the boating world is cluttered with abandoned restoration attemps. The best way to go about this is to buy a useable as is used boat and than begin learning by customizing it to suit your needs.

Tom

captain:
I have done projects like that before(restore old boats). I have 35+ years owning and operating boats from 14 feet to 50 feet. I can tell you that the boating world is cluttered with abandoned restoration attemps. The best way to go about this is to buy a useable as is used boat and than begin learning by customizing it to suit your needs.

This is good advice, Jr. Diver. Think about it!

junior diver:
OK, my dad's found a cheap boat in the caribbean, about it think its 61 feet, not too sure, we do metric in England but the boat would be for family holidays as well as diving, I'm not too sure how many divers this would take on it, also another factor is that it has all its insides stripped out so we would be able to furnish it how we like, so, if anybody has any expirence doing anything like this please reply, the link is here, its this boat but seconf hand and all stripped out
http://www.sunseeker.com/range/flybridge/m56/layouts.htm so we need 2 cabins for crew, and if anybody could give a hand for what o make the other rooms into, obviously one or two for diving but we need help urgently

These boats are cheap because the cost to restore them is so high.
Roughly I'd think you are in for around a quarter million $US.
and then at least $1000/month to keep it at some dock.
Both these numbers could be double.

Unless the owner is handy with tools these projects are not
cost effective. But if you can live on the boat while you do the
work yourself it can be cost effective but still not cheap.
All of the parts you need, little things like pumps to move sewage
around will need to be imported from the US Expect long
delays and many long distance phone calls at 3:00am or
so due to time zones.

My advice, get rid of it ASAP then charter a crewed boat only for
the time you will be there.

Hate to say it but if you need to ask such basic questions you
are not qualified to supervice a restoration of this scale. The
task is huge, don't under estimate it. We are talking many man
months of labor and very expensive materials. Do you know,
for example how to tell if a vent line to a holding tank is
properly installed? About safe propane installations and
carbon monoxide senseors and alarms? Engine comparment fire
surpresion system installation..... What do you know about Radar?
If not hire a superviser you trust to watch to project.

A boat is life suport equipment just like a SCUBA regulator
Wireing done poorly can kill you just like a breathold accent from
100feet, A fire at sea is not good. (think of burning diesel oil
floating on water with crew in rubber raft.) It's the stuff you don't know
that you don't know that is dangerous. As owners it is you who
is in charge and responible.

A 60+ foot boat is way to big for a first boat. Think about
chartering a boat with a crew. it will be 1/10th the cost. and
1/10th the work.

its not ourfirst boat, we've had boatsbigger than this before just not restored them, the owner is handy with tools, and the only informaion i wanted hlp on was the diving room/s, the reson why i was asking such a basic question was that i am only 14 and when you tlk to parents they gie you a sugared up answer, so, anyone got any help on for which room to put as diving room/s with compressor or should this be in a separate room

junior diver:
its not ourfirst boat, we've had boatsbigger than this before just not restored them, the owner is handy with tools, and the only informaion i wanted hlp on was the diving room/s, the reson why i was asking such a basic question was that i am only 14 and when you tlk to parents they gie you a sugared up answer, so, anyone got any help on for which room to put as diving room/s with compressor or should this be in a separate room

Where you put the compressor depends entirely on the configuration of the boat. The main thing is that it be far away from the engine or any other possible contamination source.

Bonne chance,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom