New to DIN, what do I need to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just purchased a DIN regulator (first time owner of one). I have a few questions:
1) Does the external O-ring that seals the first stage to the tank valve need to be lubricated?
2) How does one safely remove the O-ring for lubrication or replacement? Will a pick work?
3) I know that my O-ring is a size 112. Is this a common size in s Save-A-Dive kit or should I just buy a few extras?
4) How do you other DIN reg owners remember the dust cap? I understand I can put it in my dry bag while I'm diving, but let's say I'm diving with a full-service operation that handles my gear...I guess I will need to either attach it or breakdown my gear myself which is not a problem at all.

Thanks!

1. No
2. Because you don't, don't. Replacement - pick
3. Typically can be in a SAD kit but make sure.
4. Find a happy place... Be resourceful... Do you wear shoes to the boat/dive op? Put a clip on it and attach it to or put it in your shoe...

I would also ensure that the tank valve is completely dry by slightly venting it before attaching any regulator, since the valve “well” is particularly deep and, if uncovered, prone to the accumulation of moisture, accidental or otherwise — nothing that you really want blown into your first stage at 250 bar.

Additionally, invest in a couple of Delrin plugs with o-rings for the DIN (avoid the aluminum, like a cold sore -- too prone to corrosion / electrolytic issues with the steel valve threads and a colossal pain to remove), since they are oddly on the delicate side, easily distorted; and one sideways tumble on a boat or blacktop, if clumsy or unattended, is enough to trash the connection, which I had learned the hard way, years ago . . .

Attachments

• IMG_3629.jpeg
    IMG_3629.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 12
I would also ensure that the tank valve is completely dry by slightly venting it before attaching any regulator, since the valve “well” is particularly deep and, if uncovered, prone to the accumulation of moisture — nothing that you really want blown into your first stage at 250 bar . . .

This ^^^^^ important!!

Just make sure that you don't blow whatever was in the valve "well" in your eyes or somebody else's eyes.

Is this done by turning on the valve and letting a little air out?

Yes, quickly so not to waste air and don't make too much noise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom