MIX AND MATCH REGULATOR KITS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcus213

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need a Little advise here. I have a Oceanic reg kit. Alpha CDX 1st stage, Secon stage line up is a Alpha 10 reg for primary & Alpha 8 for my octo. All works great, but can you mix parts? I,m wanting to upgrade my primary reg to say a Scuba Pro or Apeks ETC. Will another brand of regulator work w/ my Oceanic 1st stage CDX? I want to keep my Alpha 8 for my sec'dy octo its a work horse from what i've reviewed. But i'm thinking about something w/ a little less brittle plactic parts for my primary reg. let me know, thanks Marcus fm NC.

The Oceanic CDX5, when properly maintained, pushes 138 PSI to the second stage - the scubapro regs run between 125 and 145 max. They come from the factory at 135. The 1st stage will not overpower the reg and it should breath fine. The only issue you may have is when you go in for servicing - the shop or tech may only be able to do one or the other. Make sure you have the service support before buying online.

No issues with mix and matching brands but a couple things to be aware of...

As @CnC mentioned depending on how you go about servicing your equipment finding a tech to do mix & matched regs can be a little more difficult. If your LDS (or place wherever you bring your equipment for service) has a certified tech in all the brands your looking at mixing together then no issue. If your service shop only can do oceanic and you put a ScubaPro 2nd stage on it then you will need to bring your equipment to an additional shop after getting your Oceanic stages service, this is a bit of a headache.

Next is that depending how your CDX5 1st stage is tuned there is a chance when putting a brand new 2nd stage on there it could leak a little. If the CDX5's IP is a little bit high and the tuning of the new 2nd stage is on the easy side of things out of the box then a small leak could occur. If this is the case a quick stop at wherever you get your equipment serviced should be able to tune the 2nd stage to your 1st stage.

No issues with mix and matching brands but a couple things to be aware of...

As @CnC mentioned depending on how you go about servicing your equipment finding a tech to do mix & matched regs can be a little more difficult. If your LDS (or place wherever you bring your equipment for service) has a certified tech in all the brands your looking at mixing together then no issue. If your service shop only can do oceanic and you put a ScubaPro 2nd stage on it then you will need to bring your equipment to an additional shop after getting your Oceanic stages service, this is a bit of a headache.

Next is that depending how your CDX5 1st stage is tuned there is a chance when putting a brand new 2nd stage on there it could leak a little. If the CDX5's IP is a little bit high and the tuning of the new 2nd stage is on the easy side of things out of the box then a small leak could occur. If this is the case a quick stop at wherever you get your equipment serviced should be able to tune the 2nd stage to your 1st stage.
Thanks Johnsonsa93 for your straight forward info. My LDS does service many different brands of reg kits, so i'm good in that issue. Thanks for helping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom