Just Got Here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillieJustice

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So far, I have been diving for a year in the Caribbean and in Puget Sound. I started diving on the reef off Puerto Morelos, then did a few dives and got a bit more training in Puget Sound. I have been back to Puerto Morelos and will be going to Cozumel next month. So far, 16 total dives and something like 500 or 600 minutes underwater. I got an advanced cert and drysuit cert so I can do more, but buoyancy and streamlining are still kinda poor. That means I use more air and am "that guy" who runs out of air and has to come up before anybody else. That will change. A year ago, diving was an abstraction. Now it's one of those things I do.

Welcome. To be so early in your diving, you've got a nice array of experience building. Cold water ocean diving and tropical oceanic, too. Nice. Already dry suit capable.

That means I use more air and am "that guy" who runs out of air and has to come up before anybody else.
Yes, that will likely improve. In case it's good to know, some comments on big tank availability from my experience and the reports of others.

1.) The 80-cf tank is pretty much standard most places you go.

2.) 100-Cf AL tanks are often available, but with a rated fill pressure of 3,300 Psi they're still often only filled around 3,000 Psi, so you end up with around 90-cf, still a meaningful difference.

3.) In Boniare, VIP Diving has 100-cf tanks with pretty good fills.

4.) In Cozumel, Aldora Divers, Living Underwater and one other dive op. last I heard offered 120-cf steel tanks.

5.) In Jupiter, Florida, Jupiter Dive Center had 120-cf steel tanks when I was there in 2014. I doubt that's changed.

6.) Morehead City, NC, Olympus Dive Center had 120-cf steel tanks when I was there years ago.

7.) Sometimes a liveaboard will have 100-cf tanks (maybe under-filled, as in 2.)), a limited number (reserve yours early) on request.

8.) CocoView Resort in Roatan had 100-cf AL tanks at no extra charge.

For local diving in a quarry, for example, many years ago I bought a 130-cf HP steel tank, but at least at that time some compressors struggled to fill it on up due to the high pressure. If I had it to do over, I'd probably get a low pressure 120-cf steel tank.

The diving out of Jupiter and particularly the offshore wreck diving out of North Carolina runs deep with fairly square profile diving common; you may find yourself limited by NDL (even with nitrox) rather than gas remaining when diving a big tank. The offshore wreck dives out of NC were fairly short for that reason, but hey...a German U-boat plus some wrecks that had sand tiger sharks. No regrets going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom