Ideas to get people diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
THINGS THE DIVE INDUSTRY CAN DO TO HELP

Lets post our ideas here in this thread, just the ideas

Then discuss these ideas in this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/unified-scuba-industry/309272-discussion-how-get-keep-people-diving.html#post4801565

This way it will be MUCH easier for all of us to read thru various ideas. A GREAT way to reference a idea is to link the OP in this thread on the other.

Discussions will be moved from this thread to the other so please keep this clean, IDEAS ONLY!

Let me get started by throwing a couple of mine out there....

announce a contest for divers to produce a 30 second local diving commercial. We all pony up prizes for the top videos. The Grand prize a whole set of top of the line gear and a week on a Aggressor where they produce and make a commercial for Aggressor… (The prizes need to be more than just kit however, lets also give away course taught by well known industry folk)) Beyond just creating a great local diving commercial we can use we create commercials for local diving all over the country. We have them on the website on a map, click the location and see the video fro there! Exciting for people in the area, PLUS the LDS can use the commercials for both the winners and HIS/HER local commercials in the shop and their website. We make local diving VIRAL again. We announce the winner in San Diego at the sinking.

Join a club.
Organize dives.

You may have heard of the DUI Dog Days, brilliant idea. What if we set up 3-4 trailers located thru the country (and Canada)and offered SDRG Days? The day would run much like Dog Days however instead of poor old DUI going it alone with a dealer or two we combine a manuf or two that aren’t direct at each others throat, a training agency, and local dealers. Make it a mini micro regional show with diving and hot dogs. Throw in a contest for buoyancy and dive safety quiz that earns a certificate as a responsible diver. FUN STUFF. Invite a resort to come and tell people about their resort, have them sell thru a deal with the LDS’s and we keep them happy as well. Plus have a few laughs at the guy from Cayman diving Oregon etc..

Encourage mentoring.

Promote the hell out of the Shadow Divers movie, if and when it finally is released.

Let dive retailers sell product how they see fit.

I know of dive retailers that have lost product lines because they sold product at a discount.

That is retarded.

It would seem to me, the more people you get into your gear, the more people will see it and promote it.

I've been told the reason manufactures micro-mange the scuba markets is to protect the dive retailer. It more or less seems to protect the bad dive retailer.

Dive retailers can lower their margins, but move more product.

Isn't that the American way anyway?

Push the very real benefits of local diving. Less travel expense, if renting gear you know the shop renting it-you may have even used it in the pool or on checkouts.
Less expensive gear that will stand up to local stuff - I just ordered a new zeagle express bc{ holy crap that'll make 6 that I have now for personal use- don't tell the wife} I get great deal on it but but at a suggested retail of 280 bucks that is very attractive to a new diver who doesn't or can't spend 500+. Now how about a coldwater reg setup with octo and gauges for 350 new. Anyone up to that challenge.

Push the benefits to developing skills that diving in lower vis requiring more buoyancy control they can get. Talk about the cool stuff you can see and find diving locally.

Encourage mentoring.

EXACTLY! :luxhello:

Once a month a local shop do a free (shortened) Discover Scuba day. Certified divers are also allowed (space permitting) to join them.

My local shop has a pool day once a month where any member of the club can come and dive, try out new gear, run drills or just fool around.

Used to be REEF and others had folks come on scientific missions. You were tested in fish ID (on a reef trip) so you were rated as an ID person. Once you were proficient, you counted fish for REEF. Reef organized trips to cool places like the Flower Gardens for coral spawn, or Belize/Utila for the whale sharks. Those things werethe types of things that made diving fun, because you were a part of the group. Paul Humann or Ned or Anna Deloach might come along.

I think (but am not sure) that liability got in the way.

Back
Top Bottom