Question Hydros Pro - Floatation Position on the Surface?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I hate those AL80 tanks, my suggestion is to always use a proper steel 15 liters, providing more gas and better balancing

I agree 100%. I love the 15L tanks in general but I love the 18L more when diving from boat.

So, next question. Which is the preferred method for deflation? The manual seems to say to use the pull down on the hose method. Is this shoulder dump valve prone to getting water in the bladder?

I never use the pull dump on the hose, we are in the Basic Scuba forum area here, if you are a new diver ,use the method you were taught. For me, if I have any gas in my BC at the surface (most times I have non or very ittle) I use the right shoulder dump, during the dive I vent from the butt dump , and again, there is never very much at the depths I dive now all less than 30m (with the rare exception a little deeper). When you dive this BCD spend some time to "GET YOUR WEIGHT RIGHT " and balance the rig. I shake my head in despair at the weight some divers use. EDIT: This is using aluminium cylinders here in Bali, steel cylinders at home (which I love) it is even easier to balance the rig for me.

So, next question. Which is the preferred method for deflation? The manual seems to say to use the pull down on the hose method. Is this shoulder dump valve prone to getting water in the bladder?

The pull-on-the-hose action feels very unnatural to me, though I've only tried it a couple of times. I prefer using the right shoulder dump valve (when upright… when horizontal-ish I like using the butt valve on the right side), but I haven't noticed significant water onboarding with any method.

But I hate those AL80 tanks, my suggestion is to always use a proper steel 15 liters, providing more gas and better balancing (and often being equipped with dual valve, allowing to use two complete regulators, which also add weight behind you).
The only place I’ve ever seen one was in the Red Sea.

15 liters steel are common in Europe, and in tropical resorts where European organisations operate (Cmas, Bsac, etc.).
So Red Sea, Maldives, Seychelles etc.
They also ermploy always combo DIN valves.

I never use the pull dump on the hose, we are in the Basic Scuba forum area here, if you are a new diver ,use the method you were taught. For me, if I have any gas in my BC at the surface (most times I have non or very ittle) I use the right shoulder dump, during the dive I vent from the butt dump , and again, there is never very much at the depths I dive now all less than 30m (with the rare exception a little deeper). When you dive this BCD spend some time to "GET YOUR WEIGHT RIGHT " and balance the rig. I shake my head in despair at the weight some divers use. EDIT: This is using aluminium cylinders here in Bali, steel cylinders at home (which I love) it is even easier to balance the rig for me.
This makes no sense. What is taught in OW when using a conventional jacket style BCD has no bearing on best practice when using a Hydros Pro. The issue is, whether the pull dump method is in any way better or worse than using the conventional deflator. Presumably Scubapro had something in mind when they included it.

This makes no sense. What is taught in OW when using a conventional jacket style BCD has no bearing on best practice when using a Hydros Pro. The issue is, whether the pull dump method is in any way better or worse than using the conventional deflator. Presumably Scubapro had something in mind when they included it.
Principals are the same regardless of the B/C used

What principles would those be??
Basically, if you want to sink, let air out, if you want to float put air in. If you like yanking on hoses and it’s your b/c go for it, if you used a jacket b/c and it has a pull dump you”” be happy to know the hydros also has that feature.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom