Gear Bags - what to get and does it have to be a scuba brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
What do you all use for gear bags? I was thinking of just buying a regular durable duffle bag instead of a specialty scuba bag. IMO those are way over priced.

What do scuba specialty bags have that I should worry about when I'm buying a bag? What should I look for? Any suggestions?

I just bought a nice one on eBay for $24. Anyway, look for one that is made for Salt Water or it will not last... also, buy one that is mostly mesh to allow faster drying of your gear but also have a sealable dry pocket for items you don't want to get wet (towel, etc).

I think it depends on what you'll be using it for....

- If you're doing local shore diving right out of your car -- you don't really need a bag....just a big tub to throw your gear into when your done

- If you are doing mainly local diving (boat & shore), a big duffle might be helpful to keep it together while for hauling onto the boat or to shore sites where you don't gear up at your car. I have a big Oceanic duffle bag with a shouder strap that I can fit everything into (cold water wetsuit, BC, etc., etc.). I think it was about $30.

- If you will be doing a lot of dive travel, you may want something a little more substantial that will protect your gear from savage baggage handlers -- perhaps something with wheels to help you lug it around. Having a dive gear brand name on the side of your travel bag is not necessarily a good thing -- you might as well paint a bulls-eye on the side....

-LD

I have a Mares Trolley form DiveInn.com of course and I love it.

I would not get a dive bag that isn't a pull-along. They are just too heavy to carry through airports.

I use a good quality cordura basic duffel bag, like 24$ at REI. I am considering getting an Akona mesh duffel that has back pack straps and a dry slot area. Don't really need it though as of yet. As summer rolls around the mesh might come in handy being able to breathe and dry better.

Tommy

I use a bag I bought from Wal Mart. It has straps to bind my BC to the back to keep it from falling around in the bag. It's the big kind with the wheels and an extension arm to pull it. It's lasted 3 years and I've even gotten a smaller version for photo gear.

Oh, did I mention I only paid $45 for it. That nice Akona I wanted was $160. I can destroy 3 bags over 9 years and still save money. Plus I doubt the Akona would last 9 years. They are neat though.

I can fit 2 masks, 2 bc's, 2 sets of regs, 2 computers, hooded vest, 2 sets of gloves, wrenches, batteries, dodads, etc., plus a 7mm farmer john in it. I do carry my fins seperate though. Basicly it holds 2 sets of gear minus fins........

I use a medium size hockey bag -- $45. It has lot's pockets which come in handy too. The one my wife got me is a bit too big, but they make them smaller. Very tough and designed for abuse. If I travelled a lot, I would get a plain-Jane tough bag of some sort.

Mike

I dive at a lot of places where I must carry my gear a long ways, therefore I bought the deluxe Akona roller backpack, and absolutely love it. Those wheels come in handy when it's a long haul to the water. liesurepro has the best prices on them by far, but Scubatoys.com is a close second.:mean:

tombiowami,

I have the Akona you are considering. The padded straps are nice. I never carry it like a backpack, though. I just sling it over one shoulder. When it gets salt stained, it's easy to rinse and it drys quickly. The dry pocket is not really functional. It runs the length of the duffle, but the opening is very small. I carry a separate dry bag that I can throw in the boat's cabin, or at least keep away from wet gear. Whatever is in the Akona's dry pocket is likely to get wet as you pull it out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom