Review Diving the Avelo System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, they could solve some of the major issues of this system by having a small wing or bladder on the harness for surface use only. They could use a Mares Hub type of inflator/deflator control to keep the look clean.
Something like an ABLJ?

The “skill” of using a snorkel is a nuisance as during the diving it keeps getting in the way. I don’t believe there is a difference really in removing the the system in the water and putting it back on. It’s 2 straps just like a BCD. The skill of swimming from about 20 ft to 50 ft, back to 20 ft, and back to 60 ft was not kind on my ears. It was a skill just to show that your buoyancy remains stable. You have to fill the tank with water for 2 full fills, approx 2 1/2 mins, and basically swim upwards for x amount of time to show how much weight is in the tank after adding all the water and how to keep from sinking. Also the opposite without any water in the tank so you have to kick to stay under. I guess what made it the most annoying was that I wasn’t prepared to do all of this. We didn’t feel like we had the chance to explore the system. I think you could do the skills on your first dive and “enjoy” the second dive. Our first dive was only 32 minutes I believe and still had about 50% air left. Second dive was similar. Just my thoughts. I think it all started when we showed up at 830 and they said we would do some classroom, one dive, take a lunch break, do another dive, do some more classroom, then finish up about 4pm. Didn’t really know what to expect but it definitely wasn’t that. Maybe I was just grumpy that day but that’s how I felt. It didn’t help that our instructor seemed annoyed anytime we asked a question to clarify a question or procedure. Then it became annoying to us when he didn’t seem to understand how we couldn’t understand what he was saying. Maybe a slight language barrier? I don’t know but he didn’t seem like he was having a good time.
Avelo is having a zoom event, webinar thing on 3/29 @ 17:00 . You can also just do Audio . Anticipate lively discussion , Q & A etc . The inventor will Be involved . Lots of opining around , bring your open mind and hard questions ! Avelo - Events

Avelo has added an additional 2 dive centers, one in New Mexico and one in Spain, now a total of 7.

I meant to attend the webinar on Friday the 29th but was unable to make it. Did anyone here have the opportunity to attend?

I'm interested in seeing where this goes, and I'd try it if the opportunity arose (for free), but for the diving I do, I don't see what problem this solves. In fact, it introduces problems for me.
#1. Compared to my usual OC setup, this introduces new things to break. I like to keep my rig as simple as possible, and I've never regretted keeping points of failure to a minimum.
#2. The Hydrotank is very tall. I hate tall tanks. If you squint hard enough, you'll see a C60 on my back in the avatar photo. I always go for a smaller tank when possible and hate 80s. (S80s or C80s)
#3. There are a few things I usually like to have in my BC pockets. I never transitioned to harness/BP for this reason, and I'm not even a big fan of back-inflation BCs, although I do own and use a Zeagle Ranger that's "fine." (Scubapro Classic for the win!)

And just a comment, not really a true problem, but I don't feel like the "regular gear problems" this system claims to solve are real (for me). My rig does not weigh 70 lbs. I have no problem maintaining trim. I don't feel "drag" from my BC--and my air consumption doesn't indicate any issues with drag.

Maybe this is a situation where I'm simply "used to" all these burdens and a dive on Avelo would be an eye-opener. I suppose maybe someday I'll know....

This would seem to have the most benefits for new divers who aren't already dialed-in on traditional gear. (Are we witnessing the birth of the "trad-diver?") But, having someone go through OW on trad gear to qualify them to convert to Avelo feels like it would be a very confusing experience. On the other hand, someone who learned only on Avelo would probably need some kind of "conversion/orientation" before using a traditional BCD. So I'm left back where I started, which is struggling to understand the appeal for experienced divers.

I do wish them luck. Anyone who takes a risk to bring a new product to market deserves consideration. If they do indeed solve a gap in the market (one I can't see, but am willing to admit might exist), they may do very well.

Aloha all, This is Ed McNeill from Oahu Travel Divers, an Avelo Dive Center. I'm also an Avelo Instructor as well as a PADI MSDT. I'm happy to answer your questions if I can. I read the first 7 pages of this thread but not the last 7. I'm going to answer a question I saw in the first 7 pages and apologize if it was already answered.

First let me say that this was an excellent review. Nicely done.

When the pump is activated it runs for one minute and adds approximately 2 lbs of water. So generally as soon as an Avelo Diver starts to feel a little positive it's time to run the pump for a full cycle. You can turn it off but honestly by the time you notice you're a little positive you can use the 2lbs.

Getting the weight right is critical to enjoying Avelo. On my first Avelo Dives last June I was too heavy. I was heavy most of the dive. On the second dive I was closer to being dialed in. Once the weight is right the experience is amazing. One pound makes a profound difference. I certified someone earlier this month and started her with a 3lb weight and swapped her to a 2lb mid dive and she was perfectly neutral and ecstatic. Getting the weight right is important.

My standard scuba is an xDeep Steel Zen. I need an additional 8lbs with an aluminum 80 and my 5mm wetsuit. On Avelo I take no extra weight at all. So you will be lighter on Avelo. Older divers will appreciate the difference. I haven't weighed my Avelo setup but think it's about 42 lbs. So just a little heavier than a full aluminum 80.

The tanks are HP tanks. You can boost them. This won't probably happen in a rental situation unless you're known in the shop. But for example, since I don't need weight with a 10Liter tank but do need to run the pump once I could theoretically boost the tank from 3200 psi to say 3600 psi and not need to run the pump at the start of my dive. The real limiting factor on the upper psi are our regulators which will free flow if we exceed 300 bar. The tank itself can easily handle it.

I'm told that this summer we will have pricing for Avelo. I don't know when they will be available for purchase. I can tell you that one of the reasons the Avelo System is not for sale is that it is still being improved upon. The next generation of tanks will be lighter than this generation. Everything is being slowly improved.

Reactions: Dan
@EdMcNeill09 - thanks for that.

Do you wear a normal wing/bcd for use on the surface pre and post dive? Would consider this as safety critical, especially if helping someone in trouble, or with a bag of scallops.

For me, correct weighting is a critical skill for every diver. On a recent Caribbean trip I used the first couple of dives to precisely dial in my weight, requiring exactly 4 lbs for total comfort in my aluminium backplate and wing rig with the rental ali80s. Thereafter it was blissful. The first dive with 2 lbs was slightly too light, but controllable even at the end of the dive using lung control.

Was astonished at the amount of weight some other divers were using on that same boat, most over 10 lbs, some using 16 lbs. Maybe that was the reason for seeing some people drop like a stone and finning frantically to stop whilst kicking up the bottom.

On my normal diving using a rebreather with multiple bailout cylinders I do not descend as quickly as some of those divers. Maybe that’s due to flat trim, but probably because they’re grossly overweighted — an indictment of poor skills and questionable training.

Have often thought that it would be useful to have a solid buoyancy cavity that uses compressed gas and OPV valves to control water volume as a kind of course buoyancy control if you become "light" during a dive, for example switching to bailout cylinderS during a dive. It’s a pig when you’ve a couple of empty ali80s that you need to get rid of during decompression should you find yourself alone. Sending them up the SMB line isn’t a great option.

Thinking of 1 litre solid cylinders that are filled with buoyancy gas (drysuit inflate) and can be emptied and filled during a dive, i.e. empty or full. If there were a couple or three, you’d be able to compensate with non-varying volumes. Obviously for use in conjunction with a standard wing.

I was in the local dive shop the other day and listening to a couple complain about the price of fills... Makes me wonder what does this system cost?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom