Diving Quarrys in Ohio. What Wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got good legs and knees but will tread lightly on the “stairs of death”. Especially lugging gear down them.

I got good legs and knees but will tread lightly on the “stairs of death”. Especially lugging gear down them.

You get used to them. Just take them slow and use the railings for support. I've taken them wearing doubles many, many times. They also have setup tables on the lower level if you prefer to gear up down closer to the water.

I've done hundreds of dives at Gilboa. I dive saltwater these days since moving to Florida, but I do miss Gilboa. Such an awesome dive site! I spent many a weekend camping and diving there from 2006-2016.

I live in Ohio. I want to do some dives this summer and maybe into fall in quarrys. Any Ohio divers have a recommendation for wetsuit thickness? I was thinking 7mm full length. I want to be able to get the most out of this as I cant really buy multiple west suits right now.
I'm new to the forum. I live in Ohio, I'm a new diver. I just dove white Star last weekend. If your looking for a dive buddy let me know thanks .

I'm new to the forum. I live in Ohio, I'm a new diver. I just dove white Star last weekend. If your looking for a dive buddy let me know thanks .
Also 7mm worked for me. I started to get cold around 20-25 minutes at 45 degrees but it was manageable. I have a hollis neotek v2

As a follow-up question for Gilboa
The diving at Gilboa is generally better than White Star. Gilboa has much more to see and tends to have better visibility.

The new management at Gilboa has taken a customer first approach and has been adding amenities over the past couple of years. I've taught my fair share of open water and advanced classes at both and without knowing your build, a 7mm wetsuit, 5mm gloves, 5mm boots, and 5 or 7mm hood should be fine during the late spring to mid-fall time range. If you plan on doing extended time below 40/50 feet or go October through April at either quarry - a drysuit is a must.

Ive been up to Gilboa 3 or 4 weekends already this year - happy to give any info you'd like
What’s the temp below the thermocline in late July? Should I plan on dry gloves or 5mm wet gloves? (Taking GUE fundamentals there July 24)

@bran22 if you ever want to do some diving at gilboa or white star feel free to let me know, I am always looking for people to dive with. Summer gets crazy since it's boat season, but in-between trips I'll be looking at logging some quarry dives.

@Barefoot_Lawyer IMO, go with drygloves. I don't have any late July dives logged at gilboa, but late August at 60' my log shows 48°.

Two days of class (AN/DP) meant a lot of time in the deep end of Gilboa. Definitely drysuit...

There was a DM who had tagged along to see what we were doing, and didn't last long in his wetsuit...

What’s the temp below the thermocline in late July? Should I plan on dry gloves or 5mm wet gloves? (Taking GUE fundamentals there July 24)
I wouldn't anticipate being below the thermocline during fundies. You will live at 20'

Gilboa and other deepish lakes/quarries in the Midwest frequently have 2 or even 3 distinct thermoclines in the summer, especially late summer. Below the lowest thermocline, which is typically below 30-40', it is always COLD. 42-48 F in my experience. That is the nature of a thermocline. The cold water is locked below with little mixing.

I'll throw another name in the hat for a meetup at Gilboa or White Star to dive- maybe I can start a new thread?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom