Divemaster course over 2 weekends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry if this has been answered already. I read something earlier that got me thinking.
If I am a DM on vacation and I am just a paying customer on a dive boat, can I be held liable if some accident occurs?

I thought I read earlier that yes, I could be held as a responsible party.

Sorry if this has been answered already. I read something earlier that got me thinking.
If I am a DM on vacation and I am just a paying customer on a dive boat, can I be held liable if some accident occurs?

There has been a LOT of discussion of this over the years. I'm not a DM, but someone who has participated in those threads can probably point you to some of them. I have read super-cautious types say they don't get onto the boat using their DM card but rather pull out a non-pro-level card such as AOW for that.

There has been a LOT of discussion of this over the years. I'm not a DM, but someone who has participated in those threads can probably point you to some of them. I have read super-cautious types say they don't get onto the boat using their DM card but rather pull out a non-pro-level card such as AOW for that.
Interesting. I did my Divemaster last year, I have no desire to work in the profession, just thought it would be a good time, which it was. I learned a ton, and also valuable was assisting with student's in the various classes. I personally think it helped my diving and awareness of others a bunch.

Interesting. I did my Divemaster last year, I have no desire to work in the profession, just thought it would be a good time, which it was. I learned a ton, and also valuable was assisting with student's in the various classes. I personally think it helped my diving and awareness of others a bunch.
Which is why when someone posts that they are considering doing the DM course not to work as a dive guide or as a stepping stone to instructor but rather just to learn and become a better diver, the SB chorus often responds by advising that there are other ways to learn and become a better diver than taking the DM course. The DM card itself is indeed pointless for those people and, as you pointed out, could even be considered a liability.

To each his own and until someone can prove liability I am still happy with what I did.

To each his own and until someone can prove liability I am still happy with what I did.
No one can "prove" anything. I suppose the argument--which I personally don't agree with, and I was trained as a lawyer--is that anyone can sue anyone, and if your name is on the dive boat's check-in log with a DM cert next to it, they might include you for the sake of thoroughness in the sweeping net of defendants, and then you would have no choice but to defend yourself (hire a lawyer, etc.) even if it's clear to anyone with half a brain that they have no case against you as a mere diver on the boat. I think it's a little far-fetched, but then again, legal cases never cease to surprise us.

No one can "prove" anything. I suppose the argument--which I personally don't agree with, and I was trained as a lawyer--is that anyone can sue anyone, and if your name is on the dive boat's check-in log with a DM cert next to it, they might include you for the sake of thoroughness in the sweeping net of defendants, and then you would have no choice but to defend yourself (hire a lawyer, etc.) even if it's clear to anyone with half a brain that they have no case against you as a mere diver on the boat. I think it's a little far-fetched, but then again, legal cases never cease to surprise us.
No comment.

No one said you shouldn't be happy with what you did...but since you posted this question:

It is difficult to ascertain why you made this comment:

Are you seeking vindication? Just stirring the pot? or have a totally other purpose for your question?

Just trying to understand why you would ask that question, only to immediately put forth an argumentative opinion after receiving a very direct and thorough response to what you asked.

Kind of a dick move.

-Z

The usual response to those hiding their pro status is the lawyers will find out everything about everyone on board anyway. No doubt true. Now, there may be a bit of a difference for a "working" DM vs. a retired one -- teaching status inactive, etc. like me.

No one said you shouldn't be happy with what you did...but since you posted this question:

It is difficult to ascertain why you made this comment:

Are you seeking vindication? Just stirring the pot? or have a totally other purpose for your question?

Just trying to understand why you would ask that question, only to immediately put forth an argumentative opinion after receiving a very direct and thorough response to what you asked.

Kind of a dick move.

-Z
Well I just asked a simple question, no ulterior motives. I only did a DM class to as you have on your profile.
Endeavor to exit the water more competant, confident and capable then when I entered it.

Your comment to me was the d*** move.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom