Divemaster course over 2 weekends?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I just asked a simple question, no ulterior motives. I only did a DM class to as you have on your profile.
Endeavor to exit the water more competant, confident and capable then when I entered it.

Your comment to me was the d*** move.

I will admit that I jumped the shark a bit with that last part of my post, but there is a definite incongruency between your question, comments/responses and intent.

-Z

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

There Special Rules for threads in this zone. Participants will serve themselves well, to consider how to word their posts and what words to use AND then drop some of them.

Think twice. Post once.

Sorry if this has been answered already. I read something earlier that got me thinking.
If I am a DM on vacation and I am just a paying customer on a dive boat, can I be held liable if some accident occurs?

I thought I read earlier that yes, I could be held as a responsible party.
Having participated in threads discussing this for the 20 years I have been on ScubaBoard, the short answer is that you are generally pretty safe. I am unaware of any case in which this has happened, and, as I said, I have read 20 years of these threads. A professional diver who just happens to be on the boat has no legal obligation to effect a rescue of a random person on a boat. They would have to show that you in some way helped cause the accident, and that would be true of others as well.

Now for the exceptions.

If you indicate in any way that another diver can depend upon you for your support, that may suggest that you are working as a DM, even if you are not paid. If that person depended upon you in a professional capacity, then you might be considered to have a responsibility.

If you are a professional on the island of Malta, you can evidently be charged for murder if someone dies during a dive, even if you were in a restaurant on the other side of the island when it occurred. So far such cases have eventually been thrown out of court, but you never know, you might be the first person where the charges stick.

Having participated in threads discussing this for the 20 years I have been on ScubaBoard, the short answer is that you are generally pretty safe. I am unaware of any case in which this has happened, and, as I said, I have read 20 years of these threads. A professional diver who just happens to be on the boat has no legal obligation to effect a rescue of a random person on a boat. They would have to show that you in some way helped cause the accident, and that would be true of others as well.

Now for the exceptions.

If you indicate in any way that another diver can depend upon you for your support, that may suggest that you are working as a DM, even if you are not paid. If that person depended upon you in a professional capacity, then you might be considered to have a responsibility.

If you are a professional on the island of Malta, you can evidently be charged for murder if someone dies during a dive, even if you were in a restaurant on the other side of the island when it occurred. So far such cases have eventually been thrown out of court, but you never know, you might be the first person where the charges stick.
Thanks for the input John.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom