Business Trip to San Diego in February

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynn614

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a business trip to San Diego in February and am trying to determine if it is worth carrying all my dive gear out for the short trip. I could probably sneak in a total of two days of diving.

I have my advanced open water certification, but prefer easy going dives that allow for photographic opportunities. I tend to eat up air compared to my fellow divers so I have more fun with shallow dives.

Diving with larger sea life is a plus.

Don't like cold water! Don't like 6 or 7 mm suits and hoods. But I understand that would probably be needed for this area during February. Correct???

Would be by myself so looking for guided dives probably on a Monday and Thursday.

What suggestions do folks have for dive companies and specific dives?

Thanks,
Lynn

Hi Lynn,

I missed several years of diving on business trips to San Diego due to concerns just like yours. Finally, I got over it and started diving on these trips several years ago. Wreck alley (Yukon, Ruby E...), kelp forests, and the Coronados are fantasitic, fun dives. The California Sea Lions and Harbour Seals in the Coronados sound right up your alley. Now, I never miss the opportunity to dive in San Diego and gladly schlep all my equipment with me.

You're right, a 7mm with hood or hooded vest are requisite with bottom temps in the low 50's. The Coronados are a bit warmer. I've dived with Marissa, Waterhorse, and Lois Ann and would recommend them all, perhaps schedule would be the determining factor. All are in the same general area, Quivera Basin near Sea World.

I travel by myself also and either dive solo or with a buddy or trio as set up on the boat. None of the operators put a DM in the water as standard but I'm sure you could set it up in advance if you wanted.

Give it a try, I bet you'll like it and be hooked like me.

Good diving, Craig

I have a business trip to San Diego in February and am trying to determine if it is worth carrying all my dive gear out for the short trip. I could probably sneak in a total of two days of diving.

I always feel it's worth it if I get to dive :wink:

I have my advanced open water certification, but prefer easy going dives that allow for photographic opportunities. I tend to eat up air compared to my fellow divers so I have more fun with shallow dives.

There are easy dives out here that you would likely enjoy - several shore dives up to boat dives on wrecks or in the kelp. Easy-going for photo/video is not a problem.

Diving with larger sea life is a plus.

Los Coronados if you can get on a boat going out there one of the days you are available.

Don't like cold water! Don't like 6 or 7 mm suits and hoods. But I understand that would probably be needed for this area during February. Correct???
Most certainly needed. 7mm with hood and decent gloves (3mm or 5mm) and boots. Water temps will be in the mid-low 50's at depth (at the surface too)....

Would be by myself so looking for guided dives probably on a Monday and Thursday.
What suggestions do folks have for dive companies and specific dives?

Any of the following charters:

Lois Anne Charters
Marissa Charters
Humboldt dive boat

I am sure any of the local shops will hook you up with a dive guide:
Dive California, Ocean Enterprises, Unreal Find, etc. There are many.

La Jolla Cove - La Jolla Shores - shore dives
Los Coronados, Point Loma Kelp, Wreck alley - boat dives

also - on meetup.com - check out Power Scuba - 650+ local divers who are just looking for an excuse to do another dive :)

Hope to see you out here!

:D

Jim and Craig:

Thanks for the great information. I just watched a video attached to the web site for one of the boats you recommended and it sold me on the idea of trying to get a Coronados dive in. Even if it means wearing a 7mm suit which I HATE!! So now it is just a matter of seeing if any of the boats have a Coronado trip scheduled for either of the two days I would be available.

Thanks!
Lynn

Hi Lynn!

I'm glad you're deciding to give it a try.
It will be cold, and the 7mm wetsuit is no fun,
but I think that at the end of the day,
you'll be thinking about all your neat memories and photos...
not the temperature!

I'm a San Diego native and an Instructor.
I'm always up to take people diving and can help
coordinate gear and boats too.
Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
My guide fee is $50 per day. (gear rental additional)

Just got home from my trip to San Diego. What started out as a very disappointing trip (from a diving perspective) ended with finally getting a nice shore dive completed at La Jolla Cove yesterday morning.

I was booked on the Sunday (Feb 7th) trip out to Coronado Islands to dive with the Sea Lions. I stopped by Saturday afternoon and was told all was good to go and the weather report was good for the next day. But mother nature had other ideas!!! Turned out the trip that went out later that afternoon had a hard time getting back into the harbor because of the surf/surge left over from the Saturday storm and the conditions were not expected to improve on Sunday. So.....got up early the next morning to find a message on my cell phone that the trip was cancelled. Talk about a let down!! I spent the next 4 hours trying to see if there was a way to still get the trip in while in San Diego. But the reality set in when I contacted the airline to find out it would cost me a MINIMUM of $450 to change to a later flight so I could try and get some dives in on Thursday and still hold to the 24 hour rule. So, then it was down to just being able to do one early morning shore dive yesterday. But, first mother nature had to stop working against me! The rain on Tuesday had resulted in very poor conditions. Yesterday the report stated it was a "fair" day for diving with visibility below ten feet. I HATE low viz dives. But I decided to go for it. Finally got a chance to meet my dive master for the day (Meghann McDonald) after a pile of e-mails back and forth. We hooked up at La Jolla Cove and the surge was just on the border of being at a level that Meghann would not recommend the dive. She provided a very detailed pre-dive review and assured I understand what I needed to know to stay safe. Then it was off for my first shore dive. Keep in mind I have two artificial knees and my first shore dive meant walking down the long flight of steps with full gear and 24 lbs of weights. That in itself was interesting! We got in the water and to both our surprise's the visibility was actually very good. The only negative was we both agreed that because of the surge and the reported poor visibility that I would leave my camera behind. That was a mistake!!!

Lobsters are very interesting in this area since I am not used to lobsters that don't seem to be afraid of divers. I got face to face with them and as long as I didn't touch them they didn't move. Would have made for great photo's.

So after what started out as a disappointing week, I did end up getting a pretty good dive in the Cove that made it worth carrying my gear out to San Diego! I highly recommend contacting Meghaan if you are looking for a local dive guide/master. I felt very comfortable diving with her. If my job takes me back out to the San Deigo area I will be sure to contact Meghaan again. I might actually get lucky and have another trip through San Diego next month. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can make the trip and try again for the boat trip.

Oh yea, the business conference was ok too. Stayed at the Lowes Hotel over in Coronado. Nice enough place for a conference, but not good for the distance from the dive locations. I ended up spending the last night with a friend at the Bahia that is directly across the street from the boat docks that have the dive trips. Great hotel and great location if you are looking for a place to stay.

Lynn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom