Info Backscatter Flip 6 vs 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matthias Hoeller

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have used for many years now my GoPro Hero 7 Black (with dive case) with a Backscatter Flip 6 "Two Filter" kit. I usually had a red filter and the "+15 MacroMate Mini" macro lens attached to its two hinges.

Recently, I decided to upgrade to the newest GoPro Hero 12 Black with the according dive case.

After receiving the new GoPro, I realized that the size of the front lens port of the dive case has significantly changed/increased, so that my Flip 6 no longer fits. I therefore understand that I will have to buy a new Backscatter Flip 12 system, as well.

Now to my questions:
  • Can I keep using my "old" red filters? From looking at internet pictures of the Flip12, it appears that the Backscatter Flip 12 red filters have a different form factor than my old Flip 6 red filters.
  • Can I keep using my "old" +15 MacroMate Mini? Will it fit to the Flip12 system? It seems to look the same between 6 and 12

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Matt

I just received a reply from Backscatter sales regarding my question. I am posting their answer here for future reference, maybe someone else will have the same question in the future:

You will need the Flip 12 2 kit as the housings have changed and yours will no longer fit. You only need two filters now since the low light capabilities and color rendition are better on the new camera. Your MacroMate should work fine with the new filter kit.

Best,
Matt

Back
Top Bottom