Avis on Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I usually rent from AB on Bonaire, but am going on a last minute trip and they are out of trucks. Avis appears to have trucks, but I have read awful things about Avis on Bonaire in posts from 3+ years ago. Ha anyone rented from them recently? Are they as bad as they used to be?

I realize you’re asking specifically about Avis, and I don’t know your dates, BUT, Prins has trucks available for the next 2 upcoming weeks. Home | Prins Car Rental Bonaire I didn’t check beyond that, so no guarantees. We have used them for the last 2 years and they have done us well. @drrich2 is the one that turned me on to them in his trip report.

Erik

I was nervous about our Avis booking after seeing the terrible reviews but our one experience with them in 2022 was positive. The easy walk from the airport terminal to an AC building with clean bathrooms and a big seating area were a welcome relief after a long travel day with kids, esp given that the paperwork can take awhile. Agent suggested we video the truck before we drove off and we were grateful for the reminder since when we returned it the receiving agent noticed a damaged side mirror that we had zero memory of. We checked the video and it was on there and the agent sent us on our way. It was all really convenient, painless, truck was comfortable, and we got a good rate.

I rented from avis last year (september 2023). I had exceptional service and a nice truck. Im avis preferred, but that shouldnt matter. I also get a good deal because i have a credit card that gives me full coverage so i can decline all of their optional insurances

I’ll be pc in my comment. They suck. Horrifying slow, plan on at least 30 per customer and if there are more than 2 people working you should feel honored. Once they dumped a diesel on us with less than 1/4 tank. They didn’t mention the island was OUT of diesel. Wasted hours to exchange truck. Had to go back because truck bed was broken. More time wasted. Having ac in office while I waited not worth it. YMMV B

I’ll be pc in my comment. They suck. Horrifying slow, plan on at least 30 per customer and if there are more than 2 people working you should feel honored. Once they dumped a diesel on us with less than 1/4 tank. They didn’t mention the island was OUT of diesel. Wasted hours to exchange truck. Had to go back because truck bed was broken. More time wasted. Having ac in office while I waited not worth it. YMMV B
When was this. I've used them twice on Bonaire. Once 3 years ago and once last year and I was suprisingly happy compared to all the reviews I see. But we're going back this september and now I'm starting to second guess if I should go back to AB or one of the other ones. But I've used Avis all over the world and have never had a major issue

I used them in 2022, I pre-purchased via expedia way before I left and purchased insurance online as well. Spent probably an hour, maybe 2, at the counter as they said the insurance didn't cover (apparently the online you have to pay out and maybe get reimbursed later) so signed a waiver with retainer. Got a mini-van as we had whole family but wanted to dive. Paperwork said zero sand in vehicle (um it's an island!) and said something like no diving equipment. More discussions - eventually (in very broken English and I'll admin I don't speak another language so don't hold that against them) I think they said it would be ok. Got the mini-van, drove all over the island for a week, returned with no issues. Did have to fill the one tire but had a filler end in my save a dive and filled it up with a tank from the dive shop - it held all week so was just low to start. So not great process getting the vehicle but all worked out. Luckily I've never had an issue/accident while in the islands so really can't speak to what it would have been like if I had. They definitely had a local process, so ordering online may not be the best route - but I wanted to ensure we had a vehicle when I got there.

I usually rent from AB on Bonaire, but am going on a last minute trip and they are out of trucks. Avis appears to have trucks, but I have read awful things about Avis on Bonaire in posts from 3+ years ago. Ha anyone rented from them recently? Are they as bad as they used to be?
I used them in July 2023 for one week, was recommended by MaduroDive.com with a good rate. They are located at an easy walk from the airport terminal. They have AC in the building with clean bathrooms. AVIS employees were very friendly. I was provided with a manual transmission truck with a bad tailgate. I took pictures and videos of the vehicle before driving and provided these to the counter employee before leaving the parking lot. The employee noted the issues. Upon returning the vehicle we had no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom