Apeks Flight intermediate pressure. Do I have to depressurise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agro

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an argon cylinder without valve, first stage Apeks Flight is directly on the cylinder. Works fine. After some years a professional made a service, so far so good. But he was not able to set the correct intermediate pressure because he was not able and not willing to fill the cylinder, I fully understand. I can easily set the intermediate pressure by myself but I do not know if I am allowed to do so under pressure or if I have to depressurise the first stage. If I have to do so I must depressrise the whole cylinder. This is no problem but of course it is much easier to set the intermediate pressure without depressurising.

The www sais 9-10 bar is the correct intermediate pressure for Apeks Flight. Is this correct?

Thanks for help.

Attachments

• Argon 3.jpg
    Argon 3.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 71
You don't need to depressurize but I usually do. At very least after you turn the adjustment screw purge the reg a few times to see how it settles. 9 to 10 Bar is the IP settings for most modern 1st stages

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2024-05-07 134538.png
    Captura de pantalla 2024-05-07 134538.png
    164 KB · Views: 63
If you mean depressurizing the reg (turning off a tank valve and bleeding it down for example) between adjustments then no, there is no reason to depressurize it. I do a lot of regs and have never seen that in a manual. Just adjust the reg slightly, cycle the second stage (or BC inflator or whatever the regs supplies) check it and adjust again until you get it correct. You do need to flow some air/gas through the reg after you adjust it, esp when you are getting close to the desired IP but there is no need to depressurize it each time you need to do an adjustment........this is assuming the reg has an external adjustment and not a simple piston reg that requires shims. If that's the case then yes you have no option but to depressurize it since it has to be dissembled but remember, IP value is not critical esp for something like inflators . A bar or so either way is not critical.

I just read the instructions you posted.....whoever wrote them missed a step, to reopen the valve. It talks about turning the adjustment 1/8 turn and purging the second stage, this will do nothing if the tank valve is closed since there is no pressure to adjust. My guess is the instructions should have said something like, depressurize, INSTALL AN IP GAUGE and then re-pressurize and adjust as needed purging the second stage between adjustments.

Thank you herman. My understanding of this manual different. For me it sais I do have to depressurize between adjustments.

So now I am confused.

I know for sure that Poseidon Xstreams must be depressurized. I don't know about other regs.

Back
Top Bottom