Any tip for running a university student diving club?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was the dive club president for two years in my Alma matter WAY back. First and foremost concern is that you are covered by the university liability insurance that is used to cover other sports clubs in your uni. I wouldn't even say that I have anything to do with a dive club or talk about it or act like it if I didn't ascertain that the club is covered by such insurance (that covers the officers and all other volunteers). Make sure that you are an official club in the university covered by such insurance before you do any activities as a club.
Thanks for reply, this is also our major concern. You can see above for my reply to Angelo about how BSAC might offer an option.

Something I forgot to mention in that reply: none of the founding club members were BSAC; we were also curious if we could find other sources of club-level insurance for freediving people. Does anyone know if freediving communities (eg. AIDA, CMAS, Molchanov or SSI) offered any club insurance package for non-profit student clubs?

The other thing you could do is fly under the redar and just have a loose group of friends that meets somewhere and goes diving. No dues, no fees, no dive club, no one in charge. Dives or get togethers are “rumored” by a completely anonymous source that no one takes responsibility for. Make it untraceable.
No one to go after, no one gets sued.

The other thing you could do is fly under the redar and just have a loose group of friends that meets somewhere and goes diving. No dues, no fees, no dive club, no one in charge. Dives or get togethers are “rumored” by a completely anonymous source that no one takes responsibility for. Make it untraceable.
No one to go after, no one gets sued.
Frankly speaking, a good reason for me to found a club is that I cannot find divers within the student community... When back in my old BSc days we have many online forums, real-named or anonymous, to exchange information about whatever you like - be it looking for an extra wizard for tonight's DND session, or finding a buddy for a dive. Now I couldn't find such thing anywhere even after deliberately asking around people who stayed at this university before. When I ask people what the way is to find like-minded students, the only response is "oh find a club in the SU. I'm sure there're an option!".

There are of course clubs who operate outside the campus which I could go and whose rate is within my affordability. Unfortunately it is just that most clubs in my vicinity does not offer the training and diving option I like, and clubs that do are too far away for me to train regularly.

Have had a lot even before founding the club... Honestly my personal dream is to get the club self-sustainable and run by some young bachelor students, I can then sit down, pay membership and enjoy dive.
I started a dive club myself at my university this last semesters, luckily there was a very extensive scuba program at my university that just about fizzled out right before I got there, so with their resources (air compressor, tons of tanks, regs and BCs) and network of divers and instructors I've been able to have some pretty sweet events, even if for just all of my fiends for now.

I too have had one hell of a time getting clearance to do anything in regards to official club activities. If it weren't for the existence of a insane surplus of gear, means of filling tanks and still dedicated instructors who teach for nearly nothing, I would be seriously rethinking my attempt at such a club.

If you could find a shop near by that would be willing to help sponsor your club, but also not take advantage of you or your members, I would highly recommend it.

Best of luck,
Legon

gram at my university that just about fizzled out right before I got there, so with their resources (air compressor, tons of tanks, regs and BCs) and network of divers and instructors I've been able to have some pretty sweet events, even if for just all of my fiends for now.

I too have had one hell of a time getting clearance to do anything in regards to official club activities. If it weren't for the existence of a insane surplus of gear, means of filling tanks and still dedicated instructors who teach for nearly nothing, I would be seriously rethinking my attempt at such a club.

If you could find a shop near by that would be willing to help sponsor your club, but also not take advantage of you or your members, I would highly recommend it.
Feb 19, 2024
Hi Legon, surprised someone still replied this thread... unfortunately the club restart was called off by our student union who literally suggested us not to open any sport club since any health & safety assessment takes ridiculously much more time than even a medical degree. It's really sad as I know the old club used to have quite a lot of legacy plus plenty of gears bought with old member's money, but unfortunately there is little I can do at the moment.

I do not think there is a stable student-led community of scuba-ers as well - literally over two months I only found one other scuba diver than me. There are some who might be interested in qualification, especially postgrads who have their own incomes; however, they prefer a more professional non-student club sometimes.

Nonetheless I hope your club goes well in the future. I think the key is just to keep at least some people are running it every next year - like an airplane, just don't let it stall! That's my old uni's club does sadly it is now too far away from where I live right now.

Feb 19, 2024
Hi Legon, surprised someone still replied this thread... unfortunately the club restart was called off by our student union who literally suggested us not to open any sport club since any health & safety assessment takes ridiculously much more time than even a medical degree. It's really sad as I know the old club used to have quite a lot of legacy plus plenty of gears bought with old member's money, but unfortunately there is little I can do at the moment.

I do not think there is a stable student-led community of scuba-ers as well - literally over two months I only found one other scuba diver than me. There are some who might be interested in qualification, especially postgrads who have their own incomes; however, they prefer a more professional non-student club sometimes.

Nonetheless I hope your club goes well in the future. I think the key is just to keep at least some people are running it every next year - like an airplane, just don't let it stall! That's my old uni's club does sadly it is now too far away from where I live right now.
in reality, the student organization is just formally creating a group of students who are heavily involved with the scuba program.
Before COVID, the program would have students help out here and there, with the bulk of the liability and logistics handled by passionate (well insured and seasoned) dive instructors working for pennies. one the Pandemic shut them down for a few years, their students support graduated out without the inflow of new divers. I'm hoping I can raise enough awareness and recruit enough students to help create a self suntanning partnership with the dive instructors. I agree that a purely student led and organized dive club is one hell of a difficult task to pull off.

Thanks for the input, hopefully I can use it to keep the scuba dream alive at my university!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom