Anonymous Posting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I can understand the idea behind this but I think it is being extremely misused/abused.

To use this function to post an opinion on a topic is fine by me. I can understand that some feel intimidated at times.

However, when people start actually arguing with other people, including virtual name calling etc, from the perceived safety of a brown paper bag, then it's incredibly rude and out of order IMO. It also does extremely little for any discussion as all the people who post anonymously show up the same way so one has no idea at all how many views are actually being put forward.

If people have stuff to say privately let them use the PM function. If they want to actually talk to other people in a thread let them use their own names. I would like to know who I am talking to if someone quotes me and then posts in relation to something I wrote.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would feel so threatened by the moderators or other scubaboard members that they would have to use the equivalent of a sock puppet.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would feel so threatened by the moderators or other scubaboard members that they would have to use the equivalent of a sock puppet.
Yes, "sock-puppet" is a good description.

any way to keep it an option for pm's to admins, who can then post it as a thread?

or a 'rule' that it's fine to start a thread that way but it's not to be used in thread discussions?

just thoughts. i sorta think it's funny to see jeff called gritty kitty or whatever!

Isn't it funny though that the users who are probably as likely reason as Mods to consider using Anon Posting managed to nearly immediately abuse the function to a point that it became necessary to consider removing it?? I am referring to those users who abused it in current "adult" (= foul) language thread, and whose mocking at least I would like to avoid if I expressed an opinion that was not "cool".

Nicely executed. I personally would not caved in that easy when it was obvious what they tried to do in the first place.

Anonymity is not necessarily about being afraid but wanting to avoid some juvenile stalkers spilling their stuff to other topics once you express an opinion that does not jive with the mofia. Other users have not really even had a chance to form an opinion about this function. I agree it's not for "discussion" purposes. It was supposed to be for leaving feedback for the board, not for between-member-snipering.

Isn't it funny though that the users who are probably as likely reason as Mods to consider using Anon Posting managed to nearly immediately abuse the function to a point that it became necessary to consider removing it?? I am referring to those users who abused it in current "adult" (= foul) language thread, and whose mocking at least I would like to avoid if I expressed an opinion that was not "cool".

Nicely executed. I personally would not caved in that easy when it was obvious what they tried to do in the first place.
One of the options to solve this is by requiring mod approval for each post. The downside would be a delay before the post appears.

i sorta think it's funny to see jeff called gritty kitty or whatever!

Machine Gun Kitty a slight take on Machine Gun Kelly
Machine Gun Kelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think if you look at the wiki pic that Jeff looks a little like him.

As far as the anon posts, we should be able to respond to the content or lack there of whether we the poster or not.

Here is a quote from the wiki bio:
"He was constantly in trouble with the faculty and spent much of his academic career attempting to work off the demerits he had earned."

Someone has claimed "anonymous poster" as their screen name. They still "sound" the same.

Back
Top Bottom